• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I guess the XJ brakes will have to wait....

Matthew Currie

NAXJA Member #760
I was just about to get to work on redoing my rear brakes, but had to take a run to the dump first. Got in the ol' shabby Chebby truck, and it was making a bit of a rumble, and by the time I got back, it was rattling windows. It seems both sides of the crossover pipe rotted off, and both fell off within the 10 mile round trip. Last time I had to take the crossover off (the oil pan rusted through!), it took about two days to replace the stupid studs on the manifolds, and they cost something like 12 bucks a stud. Whatever steel they use shears if you look at it crosseyed. Is there a Chevy rant icon somewhere here? I guess :flamemad: will have to do.

truckexhaust.jpg

OK, rant over, back to our regularly scheduled programming....

Can you drill out the stud holes and put through bolts in it? I would recommend stainless!
I don't think there's room above for bolts to come through the other side. I haven't looked carefully, but I think I thought of that last time, and ended up with studs again. Whatever, it will be an annoyance, but doable. Probably just studs again, though I don't think I'll be buying them from the General. I probably needn't worry about what happens next time, since the truck is 22 years old already, and with luck it will die before I do.

I'd cut that whole stupid flange off and weld on one that uses nuts+bolts instead of studs. Then use stainless or brass/bronze bolts, or just plan on cutting them next time you mess with it because hardware is cheaper than knuckle skin.

I'd cut that whole stupid flange off and weld on one that uses nuts+bolts instead of studs. Then use stainless or brass/bronze bolts, or just plan on cutting them next time you mess with it because hardware is cheaper than knuckle skin.
Well, since the flanges are part of the manifolds, it ain't gonna happen. I'll have to see what kind of clearance there is on the top, and whether bolts will work. They might on two of the three holes. I think the innermost ones are blind.

Back