• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

i guarentee this is the most interesting xj story you have ever heard. worth reading

I feel honored... :) anything i can to to help... i have been thru everything with my jeep... two fires under the hood from electircal shorts... completley re did the entire wiring harness.. new injectors you name it its did... the relay has to be the problem because for some reason its still providing power to the igniton and the fuel system even after the engine is turned off ... i have acutally taken it apart... if you want to try you can it wont hurt ... there are metal tabs that bend up and it comes apart its got a little coil inside it and some contacts maybe clean it off... i surely hope this fixes your problem... down the road grab your self a factory wiring diagram they pop up online once in a while and are the only true thing otu there chiltons and haynes have errors in them... i just hoenstly hope that this gets you going because i truely feel your pain... i had my jeep for 5 yrs and 4 summers of college and its still my daily driver i cant ever imagine loosing it... if it works go grab some french wine or hell even better get some french beer.. and honor the french enginneres that designed the electronics and wiring ont his ting.. a word though they used DUCT TAPE yes DUCT tape on the factory wiring harneses very bad idea if you ask me...

it says right here " starter relay bypasses ballast resister when engine is cranking"

and the green wire with white tracer on there goes to your computer so i really really think and hope this is your issue... if not i will break out the diagrams and the diagnostic manuals again

Re: i guarentee this is the most interesting xj story you have ever heard. worth reading

i am sure it is wilchar, i pulled the old relay out since i got a new one on the way, supposed to be here thursday. i took the old one apart and the coil was fried. KFC style. holy wow was it a mess. thanks a billion again i would have never figured this out if it wasnt for you.

Re: i guarentee this is the most interesting xj story you have ever heard. worth reading

Every once and awhile, when strange mechanical occurrences are afoot, I like to tell the story of how one day back when I was a little kid, my Mom had some car trouble. Came home from work one morning and the car wouldn't shut off. If I recall the ignition wouldn't turn and release the key. After everybody staring at it for like 5 min, she took it to a gas station down the road, this was back when they all still had garage bays in them and there was no self serve. They took care of it, and if I remember correctly, a plastic bag of some sort had gotten sucked up somewhere and caused the malfunction. Don't know the how or why, or even if that was the truth or he just made up a story my Mom would buy, but I do remember that car. A 4 door AMC Hornet hatchback. Looks like maybe 90xjpos's jeep might be a distant relative with a strange inherited condition. I also remember she was paying repair costs on that car for months after we got rid of it. So you might want to keep a live chicken handy, just in case.

Back