• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I confess I went to look at new cherokees.

I'm kinda digging the trailhawk now that I've seen a few in person... But the 9 speed issues have me thinking no thanks. I'd rather daily a 2wd grand anyway

I drove a Trailhawk a week or two ago. Pretty pimped out. I'd daily one. The 9 speed provides a weird feeling though, but nothing too crazy.

Ram Trucks is their own brand now, separate from Dodge.

I will be honest, it has crossed my mind if I was to get a SUV to replace my car, the new Cherokee to drive daily wouldn't be bad. I think it gets better mileage then my Accord. I just don't want another car payment. It would be nice to not have to park my Accord in winter when there is over 5" of snow.

and?

He cited the popularity of the JK as a reason to embrace all that Fiat has brought to the table.

the JK was designed and brought to market before Fiat took over.
You can't credit them for any of that. That's like saying Chrysler was responsible for the XJ, they weren't, but man, they did sell a bajillion of them.

So I'll withhold judgment of Fiat's management of the brand when they release the next wrangler.

Fiat made enough changes to the existing platforms that it made them more worth buying. Granted the Pentastar was in development prior to Daimler dumping the company on Cerberus, they saw it threw instead of throwing it away like Cerberus thought of doing, and are even putting a twin turbo version in the Maserati's. The overall appearance,quality, and feel of my 200 vs it's Sebring predecessor is astounding to me, considering how little was actually changed, or even comparing to the two '06 models we had. I'm not sure what shocked my friend who had the 2.7l Sebring more when he got in my 200, the much nicer interior in my near base trim car vs his, or the far quicker acceleration out of what is basically the same car with the much more powerful 3.6l..........He got a bit quiet when I let it run hard from a standing start.........:laugh:

Kinda curious how they're going to handle the next Barbie Jeep..........er Wrangler too, but I'm pretty sure they're aware of the possibility of angry villagers with torches and pitch forks if they don't keep the solid axles. So far as I'm concerned, they can get rid of the 4dr and go to something smaller, lighter, and more CJ/YJ/TJ size and weight wise.

Ram Trucks is their own brand now, separate from Dodge.

I will be honest, it has crossed my mind if I was to get a SUV to replace my car, the new Cherokee to drive daily wouldn't be bad. I think it gets better mileage then my Accord. I just don't want another car payment. It would be nice to not have to park my Accord in winter when there is over 5" of snow.

That's my thought too. I'm looking for something to replace my BMW as a daily... The car just isn't my style

See, I think the problem with Fiat is just generally their European sensibility. They just haven't learned the market. But I don't believe they're catching on, either.

So far as I'm concerned, they can get rid of the 4dr and go to something smaller, lighter, and more CJ/YJ/TJ size and weight wise.

I find your comment intriguing, BJOE, because I've noticed a ton of the four-door Wrangler here in the greater NY-metro area. Not sure if it's a regional thing, because I do recall seeing them in FL when I was living down there. I think the extra room added practicality to the Wrangler that was good for its sales, and people can own it now as their only car if they can afford the gas. Here in the LI area, I'm seeing a lot of families use them. Otherwise, I agree.

But I have no faith in Fiat. Their marketing indicates to me that they don't understand we are largely a country of people who want to use our cars for more than just A to B. Early on, there was talk--I don't remember what magazine or show--of killing the Challenger because it was too big! It didn't fit in with European standards, and it was too big to use on tight streets in Europe! Imagine that!

Sort of reminds you of someone from Germany coming here in 2000 and canceling a certain beloved SUV, no?

See, I think the problem with Fiat is just generally their European sensibility. They just haven't learned the market. But I don't believe they're catching on, either.

I find your comment intriguing, BJOE, because I've noticed a ton of the four-door Wrangler here in the greater NY-metro area. Not sure if it's a regional thing, because I do recall seeing them in FL when I was living down there. I think the extra room added practicality to the Wrangler that was good for its sales, and people can own it now as their only car if they can afford the gas. Here in the LI area, I'm seeing a lot of families use them. Otherwise, I agree.

But I have no faith in Fiat. Their marketing indicates to me that they don't understand we are largely a country of people who want to use our cars for more than just A to B. Early on, there was talk--I don't remember what magazine or show--of killing the Challenger because it was too big! It didn't fit in with European standards, and it was too big to use on tight streets in Europe! Imagine that!

Sort of reminds you of someone from Germany coming here in 2000 and canceling a certain beloved SUV, no?

I see a lot of them too, seems like most are just station wagons with big, ugly, heavy rims, on big knarly tires that look like they've seen less trail use than my XJ ever did, which other than gravel roads, has been almost no trail work. I did like the LJ Wranglers, since they offered near 2dr XJ interior space, while not really being any bigger than a XJ.

And instead of that they developed the Challenger Hellcat...so...

I guess that doesn't help your point :laugh:

Fair point.

Still, the beginning of this article shows that Fiat needed to learn that from Chrysler's people.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20141104/BLOG06/141109956/how-chryslers-hellcat-engine-almost-died?X-IgnoreUserAgent=1

I think the important part here is that Fiat IS learning, and trying to bring stuff that will work in this market, not just trying to force what they think Chrysler should sell on Chrysler and it's customer base, then do so with as little money put towards the components going into the manufacturing these vehicles like Daimler did to Chrysler.

I rented a 2015 Cherokee from Enterprise and put 210 miles on it. 200 of those miles were on the highway with cruise set at 75 mph. I averaged 22.3 mpg. This was a 4 cyl, awd model with the 9 speed auto. It never went into 9th and it only went into 8th if I was on a slight downgrade. As soon as the road leveled out, it would drop back into 7th. Magazine reviews that I've read have reported the same thing with similar mileage. The vehicle was not loaded down and Michigan is pretty flat. I would never buy one based on the mileage alone. My 2001 Cherokee can get between 20-21mpg on the highway. Compared to other 4 cyl small suv's the New Cherokee's mpg's are awful. My Dad has a 2011 Chevy Equinox with the 4 cyl and it will get 32 mpg on the highway.

I rented a 2015 Cherokee from Enterprise and put 210 miles on it. 200 of those miles were on the highway with cruise set at 75 mph. I averaged 22.3 mpg. This was a 4 cyl, awd model with the 9 speed auto. It never went into 9th and it only went into 8th if I was on a slight downgrade. As soon as the road leveled out, it would drop back into 7th. Magazine reviews that I've read have reported the same thing with similar mileage. The vehicle was not loaded down and Michigan is pretty flat. I would never buy one based on the mileage alone. My 2001 Cherokee can get between 20-21mpg on the highway. Compared to other 4 cyl small suv's the New Cherokee's mpg's are awful. My Dad has a 2011 Chevy Equinox with the 4 cyl and it will get 32 mpg on the highway.

How? Are you drafting?

I've seen plenty of stock XJs get that MPG on the highway, even higher with a 5 spd.

Used to average that with my 98. Could go 23 on the highway.

I think I got the 94 to 25mpg highway when stock

A guy at work had 014 trailhawk was going home from work on interstate he said the trans just acted like it shifted into netural he was going 60 mph lucky no one was behind him he coasted off the road stopped.Shut the motor off restarted it drove on home check engine light came on after he started it. Took it dealer next day I don't know what they told him but he traded it ffor a 015 ford explorer,

Yeah I considered the new Cherokee for about 1 minute before I read up on the new 9 speed auto. 23 mpg in that with a 4 cylinder is terrible. We average 22 mpg with the 3.6/5spd auto in the WK2 which I'm guessing is significantly heavier, not to mention has 290 hp.

We average 22 mpg with the 3.6/5spd auto in the WK2 which I'm guessing is significantly heavier, not to mention has 290 hp.

4300 lbs. She's a big girl. 290HP is necessary in that.

Back