• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HYDROLOCKED Now running rough and stalling HELP!

check engine is on...
Always threw the code for the coolant sensor (i replaced it and it never went off before the hydrolocking)
now i've got codes for the TPS and the IAC and i think a couple others. I am pretty sure that when one throws it can set off the others too though. The TPS potentiometer is hanging outside the throttle so i don;t see how water going through the intake could break it.

fix the problems that the codes are telling you and your jeep will run fine. FYI electricity hates water. The TPS is bad for sure. Pull all the plugs to the sensors and let them dry. Try plugging them back in and clear all the codes. Whatever codes that pop back up will need to be replaced. Also, check all your Maxi-Fuses

Our local Jeep club, 9 Cherokees and some random Wranglers.

Just this summer we have had 3 hydro-locked 4.0L Cherokees, 3 failed TPS. Symptoms are, rough running, stalling, improper shifting with the AW-4.

Replace your TPS. The TPS does not like water.

Last edited:
Engine internals don't like water, either. Not one little bit. I'm not so convinced that it's strictly an electrical problem here.

I'd do the redneck compression test- unplug the cps and crank the engine for about 15 seconds. While cranking it should sound very steady and not seem to miss a beat as it would with a weak cylinder. If that sounds suspect follow it up with an actual compression gauge.

Mine does the same thing without it being hydrolocked. It acts this way everytime it warms up. It will run as long as it is idling high but trail driving is nearly impossible. All we did is get things wet while it was warm and now it acts up everytime we run it. I will be trying the TPS today along with changing out the rotor, wires, and plugs since they are due too.

Back