• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hydro Assist

The 85 box is definately superior. It uses a different seal setup and I have seen no problems with leaking on those boxes.

Thanx I ordered the rebuild kit from W. Texas a few weeks ago and the guy told me the same thing. The older boxes are stronger in the pitman arm shaft housing section and do take a small variance in the rebuilt kit!

Just finished my setup. All heims in the steering and track bar. Very stable on the road.

Stock 98 XJ pump
Derale cooler
Tapped YJ steering box
PSC 1.5 x 6" ram

Looks good, must feel relieved no more steer problems or hot oil. Good for you, hope everything was easy! I guess the factory Dana 30 does not throw so far since the knuckle tie rod ends are shorter (don't stick out as far)! PSC told me I needed 8" ram because I have 7.5 of travel for the tie rod arm. I may have to restrict my ram but I hope not!

Thanks man. It wasn't easy fitting the ram in there with a low-ish lift, but I made it work. Yeah, I think the D30 has around a 6" throw, the knuckle arms are definitely short. I could have used the JK ram with 6.5" throw I think because my tie rod has a few bends in it, making it stick out to clear the axle brackets. Each side stops just short of the steering stops, so I'll have to extend those.

I hope to get it out on the trail next weekend and really test it. Hopefully the lack of an aftermarket pump and external reservoir don't hurt anything.

Thanks man. It wasn't easy fitting the ram in there with a low-ish lift, but I made it work. Yeah, I think the D30 has around a 6" throw, the knuckle arms are definitely short. I could have used the JK ram with 6.5" throw I think because my tie rod has a few bends in it, making it stick out to clear the axle brackets. Each side stops just short of the steering stops, so I'll have to extend those.

I hope to get it out on the trail next weekend and really test it. Hopefully the lack of an aftermarket pump and external reservoir don't hurt anything.

The stock pump works just fine.

Bumping this thread back up and I have a question for those guys who are running an aux PSC reservoir.

I plan on using the stock pump. PSC guy stated I would then need to tap the pump in order to plumb the lines for the reservoir. This is something I hadn't thought of before and don't think I've heard much mention of it in any of the threads I've read.

So if you've done this how did you plumb your reservoir?

this is on a TJ, so mounting is a bitt different, but the idea is the same.

-12AN feed to the pump from the resi. any smaller and you get cavitation
-6 pressure line to the box
-8 return from the box, goes through a cooler first.

the top fitting is the high pressure to the box, the bottom (larger) is the the feed from the resi, the blue is the return out of the box, goes through the cooler and into the resi.

just an FYI, the stock pump will work for a while, but eventually the extra load on it from hydro assist will end it.

these are the fittings for the box to convert it to AN
http://shop.blackmagicbrakes.com/Pr...wtih-O-Rings-Pressure-and-Return-Fittings.htm

just an FYI, the stock pump will work for a while, but eventually the extra load on it from hydro assist will end it.

do it all at once and be done with it. and get this instead of the remote resi..

47AD22C7-1FEB-46FE-B219-EBC3539284A9-3650-000002D5A761B2AB.jpg

this is on a TJ, so mounting is a bitt different, but the idea is the same.

-12AN feed to the pump from the resi. any smaller and you get cavitation
-6 pressure line to the box
-8 return from the box, goes through a cooler first.

I've been running a -10 feed and -6 return on my full hydro setup for the past 3 years (along with hydroboost).

If you're not racing, -12 and -8 are overkill but don't hurt anything. I would only consider increasing my size if I went to a faster orbital or if I had any signs of cavitation.

I run the same reservoir you have pictured. What fitting did you use to connect to the reservoir cap for the vent?

Why wouldn't you be able to plumb the aux reservoir in line with the existing low pressure line? Not flowing enough volume?

I'm not using an additional reservoir (Using the stock pump) but do have a PS fluid cooler for that little bit of extra fluid.

Not saying it's ideal but my stock pump has been keeping up just fine for about 2 years now.

do it all at once and be done with it. and get this instead of the remote resi..

not everyone can fit them. that's why some run without the resi.

I run this setup with a pump relocation bracket. I'm happy with it. I needed a longer belt as well.
http://www.pscmotorsports.com/motor...p-hi-performance-p-series-pump-w-o-e-can.html

I've been running a -10 feed and -6 return on my full hydro setup for the past 3 years (along with hydroboost).

If you're not racing, -12 and -8 are overkill but don't hurt anything. I would only consider increasing my size if I went to a faster orbital or if I had any signs of cavitation.

out here, we see a lot of high speed stuff along with the rock trails. most of the guys that were running the smaller feeds were getting cavitation.

a fair bit of experimentation went on with these different setups and this is what led to the -12 feed and -8 return. that setup has gone on a number of rigs that were having issues and so far nobody, to my knowledge, has reported back with problems. it is $$$$ though.

I run the same reservoir you have pictured. What fitting did you use to connect to the reservoir cap for the vent?

he set that up when I wasn't around. I'm not sure. looks like an push-loc style connector.

Why wouldn't you be able to plumb the aux reservoir in line with the existing low pressure line? Not flowing enough volume?

cavitation due to too small of a feed line. the pump starts starving for fluid because it's cranking it out faster than it can pull it in through the smaller feed line.

I'm not using an additional reservoir (Using the stock pump) but do have a PS fluid cooler for that little bit of extra fluid.

there are 2 issues with that system that pop up rather frequently, the stock pump will wear out by the additional load placed on it from the assist, and the OEM plastic tanks tend to crack rather frequently.

cavitation due to too small of a feed line. the pump starts starving for fluid because it's cranking it out faster than it can pull it in through the smaller feed line.

there are 2 issues with that system that pop up rather frequently, the stock pump will wear out by the additional load placed on it from the assist, and the OEM plastic tanks tend to crack rather frequently.

Hmmm, well I'll see how long this pump lasts and go from there.

My mistake was thinking you can run a PSC reservoir in addition to the stock one that is attached to the pump. I swear I've seen someone do that.

So the options are:

1. Use the stock reservoir alone.

2. Use that PSC bling aluminum one with stock pump or PSC replacement. (PSC tech guy says the bling resi holds no additional volume)

3. Use a PSC reservoir with stock pump (with feed port tapped to accept -10 fitting (I shouldn't need -12) or with PSC pump.

Correct me if I'm wrong on that.

So... obviously I will run an auxiliary cooler so the question is does the extra volume from adding a cooler help fluid supply to the pump or is its only benefit keeping the fluid temp down?

Looking for any Hydro Assist suggestions. Open to all comments since we all know that everyone here is very opinionated!! I look forward to hearing discussion as well as rebutals!

They gentlemen I bought my xj from gave me a bunch of work invoices and he had his hydraboost done at T&J performance in Orange. The install looks super clean!

My mistake was thinking you can run a PSC reservoir in addition to the stock one that is attached to the pump. I swear I've seen someone do that.

So the options are:

1. Use the stock reservoir alone.

2. Use that PSC bling aluminum one with stock pump or PSC replacement. (PSC tech guy says the bling resi holds no additional volume)

3. Use a PSC reservoir with stock pump (with feed port tapped to accept -10 fitting (I shouldn't need -12) or with PSC pump.

Correct me if I'm wrong on that.

So... obviously I will run an auxiliary cooler so the question is does the extra volume from adding a cooler help fluid supply to the pump or is its only benefit keeping the fluid temp down?

There will be more volume in the system due to the ram. The cooler will also add some volume which is good.

The issue is not volume but rate.

Yes, having more volume helps because it keeps temps down when coupled with the cooler. However the bigger issue is that the stock pump, which is already tired from years of use, will not be able to keep up with the extra demand.

Adding assist adds demand to the system.

I would not trust a stock pump and certainly not a stock resi for long. Short term it will work.

Back