• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HVAC Heater Box Foam Seals

See the arrow in the following picture for the door im asking the question about:

qno6x3.jpg

Its the "wedge" piece that is on the heater core side of the door.

See the arrow in the following picture for the door im asking the question about:

qno6x3.jpg

Its the "wedge" piece that is on the heater core side of the door.

Is that piece foam or plastic? It looks eerily similar to a piece that fell out of my HVAC box that nobody could identify, and I couldn't figure out where the hell it was supposed to go.

Things still work great though, fortunately.

It looks like it could also restrict how far the door opens but I’m not sure. I wouldn't want to leave the wedge out than find later something doesn't work and have to remove the dash again. I was lucky mine was still in good shape and I left it in place.

It doesnt actually touch anything.. its just a bigger section on the foam.

I can only think of two reasons to have it:

1.) Extra weight on one side of the door to help it close? Or maybe close to a default position in case of door failure?

2.) Direct airflow more smoothly across the door when its closed in heat mode.

I already put my heater box back together, so i think i will leave it out and experiement... im tired of being without my Jeep ;)

Someone reminded me that I haven't really updated this thread so here I am..

I haven't had a single issue with any of the foam I put in going on 3 years now. No leaks or anything that has concerned me. I'm curious to open it up and see how everything is holding up.. but its not causing a problem so why bother?

In summary I wouldn't hesitate to recommend doing this if you happen to have your heater box down.

Thanks for the update! My foam should arrive tomorrow. Haven't picked up the contact cement yet, Home Depot wanted an arm and a leg for it so I'll have to order it from Amazon or something.

Back