• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hunting

riverfever

NAXJA Forum User
This may surprise some of you that know me but, as a kid, I had quite a few guns (all of them were rifles or shotguns). I hunted squirrel, rabbit and small game mostly when I was really young. Eventually I got to go deer hunting. My relationship with my dad was always sketchy. The one and only time we went deer hunting, I remember being really stressed as I watched my father drink Jack Daniels in his tree stand and knew that it was wrong. Since then, I tried to be as opposite him as possible and we drifted very far apart.

For years now I've THOUGHT I'd like to go on an elk or deer hunt. If you know me, you also know that I wince when I foul hook a trout. I won't know if I can shoot either animal until the time comes. I do believe that we (as people) have lost touch with some things and food is one of them. My wife and I eat organic chicken and beef but who knows if it's really any different than normal stuff? I believe that any animal should get to live a life that consists of more than simply standing in it's own feces all day until it can be slaughtered for our consumption. I have never had a problem with ethical hunters who do things with the herd in mind. Ultimately, I think a bow is more romantic than a rifle but I've shot rifles and I am much more confident in my ability to execute a clean kill with that over a bow. I think I'd like to get a rifle and shoot it and then go out this season and figure out if I can pull the trigger when the time comes but I don't know enough about what to get. My deer rifle as a kid was a 30-06. Can anyone make a suggestion on a rifle? Do I need to buy a new one or can I get a used one to try?

For a good starting platform you cannot go wrong with Savage Axis (used to be called Edge) or the Remington 700.

I am going to buy a Savage Axis in .308 next month. They come in several different calibers and are inexpensive.

Buds Gun Shop
70936.jpg

I am sure others will chime in. You should also look over on co-ar15.com as these questions have been asked over there as well.

Good luck. :thumbup:

I actually just looked at that Remington model. Am I correct in saying that you can get that gun and shoot multiple calibers through it? Also...is a 7mm, 30-06, or .300 big enough to drop an elk?

Used rifles are just fine... and your name isn't on some "list" when you buy private party.
What's your price range? That will be the deciding factor on what you'll end up with. Generally, you want to spend as little as you can on a rifle (not an excuse to buy crap, get a decent one) and then spend as much as you possibly can on optics.

This one's sold pending funds, but if the buyer falls through this's probably the best thing you could get for your situation...
http://www.co-ar15.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34835

This would be a good one, he's looking for a trade but cash talks...
http://www.co-ar15.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34672

This would also be a great one, probably about twice what you'd spend on the first one though...
http://www.co-ar15.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35008

This's what I'd get if I had the cash:
http://www.co-ar15.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35010

Here's an M1 that'd make a pretty good deer gun...
http://www.co-ar15.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33685

They typically frown upon somebody joining and their first/only activity is in the classifieds, so if you'd like me to get in touch with any of these guys, lemme know.

I actually just looked at that Remington model. Am I correct in saying that you can get that gun and shoot multiple calibers through it? Also...is a 7mm, 30-06, or .300 big enough to drop an elk?

Yes and no.
Yes: Take a Remington 700.... same model, but you can have it chambered in a bunch of different calibers.
No: You can't shoot 7mm and .300 out of the same specific rifle.

Also, yes, those are all big enough... ish.
.30-06 is a deer round. So yeah, its big enough for a deer.
.300, sure, but shot placement is critical. If you're not confident in your shooting abilities, stick to a larger round.
7mm.... depends on the load you're shooting and again, shot placement is critical.
IMO, .308 is a great starter caliber. Its basically the military version of a .30-06. A Rem700 or Savage M110 in .308 would be perfect for ya.
My round of choice is 250gr .338 Lapua Magnum..... but that's probably not something you should be starting out on, nor is it something your wallet will be very happy with.

Last edited:
I believe that any animhal should get to live a life that consists of more than simply standing in it's own feces all day until it can be slaughtered for our consumption.

Mmmmm, this makes me want a cheeseburger real bad...

river -- you almost told my story/feelings about hunting (minus the poor father/son relationship). We have of late been moving well towards not only organics, but non-grain fed meats, purchasing 2/3 of a locally grown bison this fall and stocking the freezer up (mmm- tasty). I likely will go on a hunt next fall - whether or not I pull the trigger is entirely a different question.

At this point, if you are looking for one all-around big game rifle that will work for elk and deer (antelope, sheep, goats, moose as well) within say 250 yds, people have their preferences, but the 30-06, .270, 7mm Rem Mag, and .300 Win Mag are all often considered the top of the food-chain for this type of versatility. They all have ammo that is very common and can be found in most small town sporting goods stores, were you to run low while on a hunt. All of these can knock down a deer past 250 yds, but for elk past that distance I personally would stick to the .300 Win Mag or something larger.

Because I am a fan of the .30 cal long actions, I would say go with the 30-06 or .300 Win Mag for a first (all-around/versatile) big game rifle.

In terms of brands/models, again you are asking guys to tell you if they like Chevy, Ford, or Dodge better. This is very subjective. You can get the Remington 700 chambered in any of the calibers I have mentioned, in several different 700 varieties, as will be the case with most of the old standard manufacturers. In addition to the good ole standard manufacturers, there are a few new kids on the block, namely T/C and Tikka. If you are looking to go inexpensively (note: I did not say CHEAP), I would recommend the Tikka T3 (Hunter, Lite, etc.). It has a nice easy action based on a Sako design. I also like their safety design.

My 2 cents.

Last edited:
I've been looking pretty hard at the Remington 770 model and in 30-06 flavor. It looks like I can get a variety of grains for that (up to .220?). I've been doing a lot of thinking about this. I know there's a lot of folks that just like to shoot things but that is definitely not my thing. I know that if I were to kill a deer or elk, I think it would bring me to my knees. I would want to honor that animal and celebrate it's life.

I've studied a bit of Native American spirituality and some tribes used to sprinkle tobacco near the animal after it was shot. Many Europeans do something similar. They place a small pine bough in the animals mouth and then place another piece in the left hat band of the hunter. I find it really interesting that some tribes did something similar but with corn. Corn was sacred and it was spread near the mouth of the animal to symbolize one last meal. I find it ironic that now, we use corn because it's so cheap and it fattens up animals to the point where they sometimes can't even walk more than a few feet because their bones/organs can't support their weight. How things have changed. We're even farm raising trout and salmon and teaching them to eat corn.

River have you thought borrowing a rifle for a hunting season to make sure it is something you would like to get into? No sense spending a couple of hundred bucks if you could just borrow one instead. I have a 30-06 I use for hunting and I shoot 180 gr. Just like anything just make sure of shot placement.

No I hadn't thoguht of that but that's a good idea. My father in-law has some rifles back in St. Louis and I should probably ask him if I could do that and just shoot it and see how it feels.

I don't know what the hell is going on with me.

I would also like to tag along with an ethical hunter that maybe feels like I do to kind of see the process as well.

I normally fish at catch and release water too but I think I am going to hit up some different water this spring and force myself to keep one or two and see how that goes.

River have you thought borrowing a rifle for a hunting season to make sure it is something you would like to get into? No sense spending a couple of hundred bucks if you could just borrow one instead. I have a 30-06 I use for hunting and I shoot 180 gr. Just like anything just make sure of shot placement.
That is damn good advice right there!

killing your dinner is just the start. You have to cut it open and pull it's guts out to cool the meat quickly as posible. Then, after it has aged, you have to cut it into chunks that fit your cooking appliance. Follow that up with preserving it for future consumption. I don't care where your ancestors immigrated from, at some point in time in your family tree, that was a fact of life.

Another vote for a 30-06, it's a good starting point for rifle hunting. Same goes for actually getting a license, Deer are easier to bag, easier to drag back to camp.

I normally fish at catch and release water too but I think I am going to hit up some different water this spring and force myself to keep one or two and see how that goes.
Ummm, no. Catch one, clean and cook it there, on an open fire. You'll never taste better!

No I hadn't thoguht of that but that's a good idea. My father in-law has some rifles back in St. Louis and I should probably ask him if I could do that and just shoot it and see how it feels.

I don't know what the hell is going on with me.

I would also like to tag along with an ethical hunter that maybe feels like I do to kind of see the process as well.

I don't know how I feel about parting with a rifle for a hunting season, but I'd be more than happy to take you on a hunting trip as your guide and you can use my lever action .30-30 or my bolt action .308 (probably suit you better) and see what you like. I'll guide you through the whole process of what to do after you take the animal and help you process it and whatnot too.
I'm sure there are some people here who think I'm the kind of guy that just likes to go shoot stuff and that I'm not an ethical hunter, but they'd be wrong. I'm not into the rituals/symbolic stuff, but I put a lot of importance on having respect for the animal and being appreciative of it, and also of making a clean kill so it doesn't suffer. I've been hunting with guys that like to shoot the animal in an area that isn't an immediate killshot cause they like to watch it run and fall... I have to fight the urge not to do the same to them.

Ummm, no. Catch one, clean and cook it there, on an open fire. You'll never taste better!

Amen to that... River, you should come camping with my buddy and I on the lake when it warms up. We catch the fish and cook em then and there, its the best tasting fish there is.

Oh yeah, I was pretty tired when I posted earlier... about the .300 caliber, it depends on what you're shooting. .300 WinMag is great. I was thinking about .300 Whisper, which is what I wrote about in that post.

It'll go tasty. Lets you and me meet for a beer and comiserate over our sensitive selves. Then we can go hunting next fall and not kill anything.:sunshine:

exactly.

Back