• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HUMMING NOISE ??????

MTN4X4

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 91 with 260,000 miles on it.
4.5 inch of lift. i have a humming noise when driving from the ft
may be left ft. it will go away when i put it into 4-wheel drive.
but as soon i step on the brakes it comes back. release the brakes and
the noise is gone.
take it out of 4-wheel drive and the noise is back.
any ideas would be nice..............

ideas would be to test/check the hubs, axle u-joints, and check the brake components for wear. ive heard that the caliper can wear a groove into the knuckle and cause a strange noise.

is the front d30 on the 91 still a disconnect axle?

its a non vac disconnect
if was the knuckles it would make it all the time ?
the u joints a less then a year old.
how about carrier bearing ?

I just had some vibes in the general front area drivers side. I thoughbt it was the hub, i changed it out. It was still there so i took out the front driveshaft. It was the driveshaft, im currently changing the u joints.

Front carrier bearings...??? My dads went bad on his 99. The humming/groaning sounded like he had knobby mud tires at times especially when braking.

With the symptoms you are posting....IF you have a non axle disconnect front differential; I would check the front driveshaft U joints.....
Putting the transfercase in 4WD applies torque to the U joints and when applying the brakes the torque changes....

Back