• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

humming noise from front at 50mph

dfrissell

NAXJA Forum User
I recently installed a 4.5 inch lift on a 2001 Cherokee with SYE and CV driveshaft. There was no vibration or humming sound when driving on stock tires after the lift at any speed, but when I put on 32 inch tires an intermittent humming sound appeared when I get up to 45-50 mph that sounds like it is coming from the front. I wouldn't think this would be caused by the driveline angle because there was no noise after the SYE was installed with stock tires. I noticed that one of the rims was bent on the front passenger side. Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this sound?

Humming and not vibrabration is probably your tires.If you go 60 mph does it dissappear?
I've had tires not too aggressive make a far bit of noise at certain speeds.

When a rim is bent sometimes it makes it impossible to balance the tire/wheel.....if you have any good local tire shops have them spin and attempt to balance the tire as this may be the source of noise....also large tires and certain tread make alot of noise at highway speeds....Also have you had the front wheel alignment checked?????

..........good luck..........

The noise is still there at 60, but it is intermittent. Sometimes it is not there and appears even when not pressing the pedal. It doesn't seem that there is any vibration, but there is a noise like a vibration or a humming. Yes, is just had an alignment.

mine did it until i got it realigned... that and their new tires, gotta wear off that crusty top layer

I would say bad pinion angles since you have a LP D30(been there,mines a 2K)

I'll have to agree with the bad pinion angle. My 01 Cherokee did the same thing with the same amount, and tire size. The best way to fix it is with adjustable upper and lower control arms,or you could just try to find a high pinion out of a 2000 model Cherokee.

I wouldn't advise you adjust your uppers or your lowers. It will change your axle angle and adversely effect your steering, ride and handling. You need to keep that at at least 7 degrees neg

98XJROKS said:
I wouldn't advise you adjust your uppers or your lowers. It will change your axle angle and adversely effect your steering, ride and handling. You need to keep that at at least 7 degrees neg
Who fed you that line of BULL!Most on here have adjusted their arms to compromise caster/pinion angles.Ive been running less than 3* of caster on my 2000 LP D30 for over 4 years now,just got back from a 4000 mile trip,it still drives better than new.I have less than 5* caster on my 95(LP D30).

Back