• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hp44 and 9" swap.

Smittty9785

NAXJA Forum User
ok got the axles down to the housings. the 44 was a drum brake setup. He gave me the knuckles for the discs, but anyone know where i can get a caliper bracket for the hp44?

Is it ford?
www.broncograveyard.com
See if they have them there.

Edit: sorry, just looked and didn't see them. I have a pair of knuckles with spindles and caliper brackets still on them laying around.

Last edited:
Begster said:
Is it ford?
www.broncograveyard.com
See if they have them there.

Edit: sorry, just looked and didn't see them. I have a pair of knuckles with spindles and caliper brackets still on them laying around.
how much would you want for them? and yes they are out of a late 60's early 70 bronco. At least this is what i was told. if you can, can you please take a pic of what you got and post it so i can see what im looking at. thanks- Matt

little bronco or full size bronco??? sounds like little/shoebox bronco.
either way, EBAY!! :compwork:

oh and on dana 44's you can run whatever outers you want. Ford, dodge, chevy, jeep... just knuckles, spindles, and backing plates(caliper brackets) for whatever brakes you want.

im not sure if it was a FS or bronco 2. I got both axles for $500, and that came with everything for the disc swap except the caliper brackets. im not sure where to look, i searched on e-bay and found nothing.

Is it a kingpin or ball joint axle? What spindles are you using (5 or 6 bolts)? I would assume balljoint 5 bolt. Look for almost any 4wd Ford truck if it's 5 bolt, Chevy or FSJ if it's 6 bolt. You shouldn't have any trouble finding them in a junkyard as they didn't ever really change much. Just find a full size 4x4 Ford and go parts raping.

okay, does the front axle have wedges cast into the axle tubes for radius arms or does it have leaf spring mounts?? And do you know the difference between the little bronco axles and full size f100 axles as far as the width??? little bronco axles are about the same width as the stock XJ axles, the full size axles are obviously a lot wider than stock xj axles...

how bout posting a pic of these 2 axles!

HP D44's are early Ford--pre '80.
You need to determine what knuckles you have before buying brake components.
Also, stub shafts, spindles, brake backing plates (caliper mounts), and knuckles must all match; example: Ford 5 hole knuckles must use 5 hole spindles, etc. Or Chevy (and full size (FS) Jeep Cherokee's) 6 hole components must all match. Note that high steer knuckles are either Chevy or FS Jeep--not Ford (except 3/4-ton D44).
If I'm not mistaken, the early Ford Bronco (and 1/2-ton Ford pickups) drum brake fronts used 6-bolt spindles/knuckles. Don't think the spindles off of those will interchange with the Chevy/FS Jeep knuckles.
E-bay is a good source for D44 parts, if you know what you need.

Go here, for detail info on what fits what: http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/Mr.N44.htm

Last edited:
they are 5 lug. 5 on 5.5" to be exact, and yes they were the radius arm style. ill go out in a minute and take a couple pics of them. your help and knowledge is much appreciated. thank guys..-Matt

29y5d1j.jpg

2ur8i08.jpg
ok so they are balljoint style.i go take some other pics of the knuckles.

2cheko.jpg

zo9eg0.jpg
ok here they are. what else do i need? i know stupid question but i just never really had this much of an extensive build before. i swapped in the 8.8 but that was cake work. thanks again guys...-Matt

Your comment regarding lug pattern is not what I'm referring to. I'm talking about spindle bolt pattern--either 5-bolt (standard Ford disc brake knuckles, or 6-bolt, standard Chevy/FS Jeep disc brake knuckle).
Your picture of knuckles looks like 6-bolt early Ford drum brake knuckles.
You need to read and understand the data provided in the web site that I included in my last post.

oh my bad, yes they were from a earlier drum brake setup, the knuckles are from a disc brake setup.

im just not sure what i need, i have no idea what year these axles came out of, Im not even sure if these are the correct knuckles for what i need them for. anything else you suggest?

You need everything new, including knuckles unless you want to run drum brakes. Like xjbubba said, check that site and read and understand. Here is a good picture.
Dana44Flatops_Disk_vs_Drum.jpg

You have drum brake knuckles.

dammit, thanks guys for the info. ill be going to the junkyard here pretty soon then...

Back