• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HP Super 30 VS. LP D44 w/axleshafts?

ChrisRFewell said:
but back on topic a dana 30 is not a shitty axle if you go no more than 35:" tire it will be fine with not too much skinny petal. a HP 44 would be the best way but if funds dont allow..stick with the 30. but as many have said already...you definalty will NOT go wrong UPGRADING to a dana 44:party:

Finally you said something correct. HP44. You're talking about a damn wagoneer 44.

HP 44 > HP 30 > LP 44 > LP 30

91 Jeep Project said:
And thats where your arguement fails. Because you cannot have a 44 with lockouts, that has anything other than a 19 spline outer. It just does not exist anywhere.

Well, you can, warn sells a 30 spline dana 44 hub kit - but its not as strong as the alloy usa 30 spline unit bearing kit for the dana 30.

cal said:
Finally you said something correct. HP44. You're talking about a damn wagoneer 44.

HP 44 > HP 30 > LP 44 > LP 30

i am correct a HP 44 would be the BEST then the Waggy 44 then the little dana 30...

but we need to stay on topic.this has been coverev on Pirate and here before and 99% of the people agreed that the 44 was stronger...then there is you and the rest of the minority..

hot_rod_hooligans said:
Ok so of the two, HP Super30 > LP TJ Rubi D44 W/ chromoly shafts, correct?

Regardless of what Chris here feels, yes.

ChrisRFewell said:
i am correct a HP 44 would be the BEST then the Waggy 44 then the little dana 30...

And see, for a minute you almost had it right. :)

ChrisRFewell said:

but we need to stay on topic.this has been coverev on Pirate and here before and 99% of the people agreed that the 44 was stronger...then there is you and the rest of the minority..

And 99% of the people on the internet don't know what they're talking about. :gee:

im not saying the 30 is crap. and upgraded 30 is stronger than a stock 44..but upgraded against upgraded a LP 44 is stronger due to the larger parts.

and yes it does take some fab work the the original poster was wanting to do so i would advise doing a dana 30 on this application

ChrisRFewell said:
im not saying the 30 is crap. and upgraded 30 is stronger than a stock 44..but upgraded against upgraded a LP 44 is stronger due to the larger parts.

and yes it does take some fab work the the original poster was wanting to do so i would advise doing a dana 30 on this application

Which larger parts? The same shafts that you put in the 30? or the same ujoints? Or the larger ring gear with a smaller contact patch because its on the coast side? Or the 19 spline stub axles?

cal said:
Which larger parts? The same shafts that you put in the 30? or the same ujoints? Or the larger ring gear with a smaller contact patch because its on the coast side? Or the 19 spline stub axles?
Maybe the ball joints, center section, axle tubes, and wheel bearings that don't wear out every year. Those are all bigger.

jeepboy381 said:
Maybe the ball joints, center section, axle tubes, and wheel bearings that don't wear out every year. Those are all bigger.

I'll give you that. In three years of 35's and a dana 30, i have worn out the balljoints on one side (the other side is still tight as hell) and f'd up a unit bearing - but i jumped my jeep about 7 feet high to do it.

Axle Flex, Carrier Flex, Ring gear Flex, these are what cause parts to fail Inside the axle.

A Trussed 30 is Not as strong as a stock 44 when comparing the tubes and housing.

The Large Ring gear, even with a Slightly smaller contact pattern is Still Larger, and resists deflection Much better.

The Housing is Much larger, Much stornger and resists deflection and flex Much Better.

If there was a weak link, it would be the 19 spline stubs... But they seem to be Stronger than quality locking hubs (Wait, Locking hubs ? Not without a Chunk of $ on a 30)

3/4 Ton, Full size, Big blocks ...... Dana 44

1/4 ton, Light weight SUV's.... Dana 30

Enough said

4LowandGo said:
Put Dana 30 shafts beside a set of 44 shafts and it's obvious which shafts are bigger.

You're missing the point here. The discussion is SUPER 30 vs 44.

They use the same shafts, although not always in the same length. My spare shafts for my dana 30 are waggy shafts, with the tips cut off to shorten them.

I have a HP30 with 33's, 4340 Alloy USA Chromoly shafts, ARB with 4.88 gears. I am happy with this setup.

BOB

cal said:
You're missing the point here. The discussion is SUPER 30 vs 44.

They use the same shafts, although not always in the same length. My spare shafts for my dana 30 are waggy shafts, with the tips cut off to shorten them.

my discussion was stock vs stock

and i spoke too soon...my bolts that hold the ring gear came loose and exploded the carrier just now..lol...time to see if the guy the installed them put them together

cal said:
30 spline is 30 spline. It doesnt cost anymore to buy a 30 spline arb/shafts for your dana 30 than it does to buy 27 spline arb/shafts. Oh wait, the waggy 44 doesnt HAVE 30 spline outer shafts, they are only 19 spline. And the same u-joint. Stronger carrier? go ahead, break a couple of carriers and post up some pics. And the waggy 44 ring gear is indeed bigger - but since its low pinion and you are on the coast side, it has a smaller contact patch than a 30 would.. and I've never seen a trussed 30 bend, how much stronger does it really need to be?

The only thing a waggy 44 gets you over a 30 is bigger ball joints, but not very much bigger, and at the cost of worse driveline angles, weaker stubs, and a ton of fabrication.

Yes, but the JK 44, which is what was suggested here, has 32 spline stubs, full crossover steering, bigger balljoints..

So does alloy-usa, superior, etc. They use dana 60 u-joints, not 760's, and require going to 1 ton outers - an MAJOR project.

Bring your 44. I'll put it up against my 30 any day of the week, and you *WILL* break first, assuming of course you havent gone 35 spline with 60 outers - but maybe even then.

Go learn about current Rubi 44's, and then come back to play.

X2:cool:

Back