• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to waterproof my Alternator???

HotChiliRam

NAXJA Forum User
That's the question, how can I waterproof my alternator?, the problem is that the alternator is mounted very low (as in all XJ's) and when I cross a deep water cross it stop's charging till it dries (sp?), How can I prevent this to happen?, I don't like the idea of my alternator giving up if the middle of a trail run.

Thanks

Keep your belt tight.

The only time my alternator will stop charging after water is if the belt gets wet...and slips, it has rarely happened, and dries quickly if it does.

Rev

I know, but my alternator does not like water. I have to drive a few miles till it dries and charge again. My alternator is one of my biggest concern when wheeling in mud and flooded areas. That's why I put this thread, because I'm really concerned about my alternator and can't figure how to protect it from debris, water, mud etc.... In my ZJ the alternator is on top, but on the XJ it is hanging really low, and the XJ is the trail rig.

Thanks for the replies.

The best thing to do is to use electrical contact cleaner on it and just learn to rebuild them yourself. You can save a slot of cash by rebuilding them. Use a good brand like Mean Green, their units tend to be sealed better.

HotChiliRam said:
That's the question, how can I waterproof my alternator?, the problem is that the alternator is mounted very low (as in all XJ's) and when I cross a deep water cross it stop's charging till it dries (sp?), How can I prevent this to happen?, I don't like the idea of my alternator giving up if the middle of a trail run.

Thanks

Coat it with resin.

:D

I've never had problems with mine going out for just a little bit, usually they work or they don't. I agree with Rev on checking your belt tension, it may be a little loose. I've hit water with a loose belt a few times and the belt would jump off of the pulleys.

I'm on my fourth alternator now. I like to play in the water quite a bit. Every time I have to replace one, it is because it is full of grass, straw, sticks, leaves, etc...

When I get stuck in the water I will turn my engine off, as long as there is no risk of getting water in the engine. That prevents quite a bit of the stuff from getting sucked into the alternator.

When the first one went out I replaced it with one with a one year warranty. I replaced it twice before the warranty ran out, just had to take all of the grass out of it first. I'm probably going to get one from Autozone with a lifetime warranty next.

BlueGerbil said:
Could you please give us some more information about that? Where can I get such a bracket? I´ve got no ac compressor in my trail rig so that would a great idea!

That's good info.... Please post where can we find this bracket.

BlackJax said:
The best thing to do is to use electrical contact cleaner on it and just learn to rebuild them yourself. You can save a slot of cash by rebuilding them. Use a good brand like Mean Green, their units tend to be sealed better.

Sucks to rebuild the alternator everytime you hit mud, that's why I asked.

There are only two answers to your question.

1. Build some sort of case for it, which is water proof of course, however would need a vent on decent size, since alternators create heat.

2. Buy an alternator with a warranty, get a bigger battery, and give'er shit!

Back