• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to Turbo a XJ

I misswrote that apparently, The problem is that the peak torque is reached at 3500 RPM's and over that the motor doesn't feel very peppy. What I need is some power at 3500+ RPM's. I need to be able to keep the tranny in 3rd or 4th gear when climbing. My problem now is that I must down shift to 2nd. Here's a little vid so you can see what I do when I play on sand, and this are very tinny dunes compared to other we have in the North.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wu7RM2yFOg0

All I need is the availability of keeping a specific gear (higher as possible).

Thanks

Have you thougt about advancing the timing on your cam a few degrese, or maybe a new cam with the ideal power band for you?
A small shot of nitro ( 30 to 50 Hp worth) and a properly set up nitro off switch either on the pedal or the TPS should do nicely.

I meerly said NOS as a brand name assosciation, like Band-Aid instead of "adhesave medical strip"

~Alex

I haven't thought about advancing the timming of my cam. I've think about installing a new Cam though, but my problem is that I like the torque I have with my current cam. I think that N2O is the route for my goal. Maybe a fine tunning could help me too, but I'm pretty sure everything is working properly. Uhhh Decisions decisions..........

Figured anything out yet?
If you get nitrous with a WOT switch, you can use it at any RPM above 3000 - just stomp the pedal to the floor and go. I wouldn't go any larger than a 100 shot though, even that is risky since you can't adjust the timing as easily on Cherokees. Just be sure not to shoot it under 3000 RPMs or you stand a good chance of fishing rods out of your pan.

Get a super! Well unless you need it for the higher RPM's. You would benefit power on low RPM's with a supercharge. That's just the riding I like...everyone is diff.

Just be careful with NOS-it makes it REALLY easy to destroy/seriously damage your engine in several different ways (Mostly burning holes in pistons)

Turbo is not the answer here.... I run turbo through my eclipse and how you are thinking of setting is up is not going to work... First chances are the piping will be in the way no matter how hard you try... second you will never be able to get the boost up to enough pressure to make a huge difference...4lbs wont do it...plus the overheating then becomes an issue... how would you run an IC?? I know you can do it without out it but it would just be hot air... Supercharger could be a solution depending on how you do it... probably your best bet... If you run Nitrous Oxide IMO you shouldnt run a WOT throttle kit because when you are at WOT your RPM's are awfully high and then the nitrous could potentially over do it... There is a way to do it any way you choose just be careful and done right it could be incredible

I dont see why you couldn't run a turbo on the pass side but alot of stuff would have to be custom and proly very costly when you can get a super charger kit for an XJ for a few grand and it would bolt right up.

i installed a think! performance supercharger on a 4.0 cherokee... we kept the factory injectors and didn't experience any adverse effects... for those unfamiliar with this setup, it's actually a modified supercharger off of a GM (3.8?) v-6 they put in the ssei bonnevilles. low boost (5 psi, i believe) and pretty easy to install too. you could always go with bigger injectors, if you haven't already.

z_lindig said:
i installed a think! performance supercharger on a 4.0 cherokee... we kept the factory injectors and didn't experience any adverse effects... for those unfamiliar with this setup, it's actually a modified supercharger off of a GM (3.8?) v-6 they put in the ssei bonnevilles. low boost (5 psi, i believe) and pretty easy to install too. you could always go with bigger injectors, if you haven't already.

Hi, I already have larger injectors, (24lb FordMotorsport) because I have a stroker. (4.6L) Where can I find this "performance supercharger"?, where can I find more info about it?

Thanks

It would be cheaper to machine the head for more compression, larger valves, and port & polish the intake runners and a cam that matches the intake and compression. Then a header and exhaust will help. Your already stroked the engine so you must have higher comperssion. Did you do anything to the head?

the turbo doesn't have to go on the driver side because the manifold is on that side. you can put it as far away from the manifold as you want. the only down side of doing this is you will lose pressure with distancing it from the manifold, however, if you place it somewhere that is well vented you will gain power from cooling hte turbo. i have see them as far from the manifold as the back of the vehicle. it is a little expensive though to make everything fit with the turbo being in a strange place. putting it close to the manifold is also just going to creat more heatsoak for your engine compartment, it is the most common way of doing it but not the only way.

No, the head is stock. Mi jeep is a 1990 so I was thinking in changing my head for a newer one. My header is also stock, and my exhaust is stock too. I have the stock filter charger with a snorkel. That pretty much tells you that I can do more stuffs to gain some horses, but I want to do one thing at a time to see the benefits of each upgrade.
I would like to do something to my head but here is VERY expensive to port a head. Plus I don't think that porting the head I would have as much gain as installing a SC or NOS.
Anyway any advise is welcome. I would like to take the more I can from my 6L before thinking in replacing it with a V8.

Back