• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to set backlash after installing locker

Scotto6591

NAXJA Forum User
I just installed a aussie locker in my Chrysler 8.25 I pulled the carrier out when I installed it,now I'm all set to put the carrier back in but I'm unsure on how to properly set the carrier backlash. Does anyone know of any write ups or how to do this?

To make a quick adjuster tool get a VW axle nut. Weld a socket to it. 3/8 or 1/2 drive the use a long extension to tighten or loosened the the adjuster. I had on made works better than the Miller tool

You need a dial indicator to set backlash. Ideally you should've measured it before you dropped the carrier and then you just set it back to where it was. The "last" adjustment on the side adjusters is to always tighten. If you have to shift it loosen one side then tighten the other, you need to preload the carrier bearings, I want to say 75ftlbs for the torque on the adjusters.

One pack of 3/4 extensions (4 or 5 lengths) from HF will be long enough to get to the adjusters. You will be using them again at some point.

Back