• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to remove a winshield...?

MORE Thread Hijacking

Matt,

It's significant that you mention ANSI standards being developed that will superceded FMVSS for windshields (or anything else, for that matter). Since the FMVSS are set by a Gov. agency, it may take a while before the ANSI standards, no matter how much better, are actually legally binding. That will leave it up to the individual auto manufacturers as to whether they comply to ANSI, or the less stringent FMVSS.

It's also interesting that ANSI is being used as the regulatory body for these new standards. In general, ANSI is not recognized outside North America. There is a lot of corrrelation (and collaboration) between ANSI and ISO, but there is no guarantee that a given ANSI standard will be recognized by any auto manufacturer OUTSIDE the US, unless an equivalent ISO standard exists.

For this reason, I am surprised the SAE is not involved. At least the engineering staff of Toyota (as an example of a non-US auto manufacturer) recognizes the SAE standards. I doubt they do the same with ANSI.

True about the SAE...I'm betting that they jump on board as-well...My understanding about ANSI is that most domestic makers were already at this level years ago. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, safety is what really drives the car market today. Next time you look at an auto ad, count how many references to saftey are made, how many air bags, tests etc. Basically the auto market has surpassed the FMVSS for a number of years now.

European makes are an interesting replacement. For some reason they have a thing about less urethane in their windshield...maybe it's because they are primarily aluminum body styles and use a stiffer high modulose urethane...

What drives me nuts is the asian made vehicles...there is absolutely the bare minimum amount of urethane used. Everytime I cut one out I wonder how in the heck they can get away with it :eek:

Matt

Caught this thread late but anyways... discarded brass-wound steel strings for a fretted musical instrument (guitar, mandolin, etc.) make good wire saws in a pinch. They may wear out a bit quicker than a store-bought one but the price is right. Don't use the GoreTex-coated ones, that stuff acts as a lubricant. You'll have to fab handles from a dowel.

mdwatkins said:
True about the SAE...I'm betting that they jump on board as-well...My understanding about ANSI is that most domestic makers were already at this level years ago. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, safety is what really drives the car market today. Next time you look at an auto ad, count how many references to saftey are made, how many air bags, tests etc. Basically the auto market has surpassed the FMVSS for a number of years now.

European makes are an interesting replacement. For some reason they have a thing about less urethane in their windshield...maybe it's because they are primarily aluminum body styles and use a stiffer high modulose urethane...

What drives me nuts is the asian made vehicles...there is absolutely the bare minimum amount of urethane used. Everytime I cut one out I wonder how in the heck they can get away with it :eek:

Matt

A few that i get a laugh at are Volvo's FW737 and 2052? the bead is about a 1/4" wide, Mopar mostly WJs where the paint peels from the primer, and when the "NATIONAL COMPANIES" do a top-set and 6 mo later the pinchwelds rotted.
I can go on and on about this.

Guys,

Not to change the direction of the thread but there was talk about installing the black rubber seal on an older XJ if you changed the window. I have my 88 XJ in the shop and mentioned to the manager about the rubber seal. He told me it would not go into my vehicle. I told him I recall you just pull the clips and the vehicle will accept the newer style seal.

To install this seal used in the mid 90s and later does the window have to be removed or can it be installed without disturbing my window?

Martin

I think the newer seal goes on the new windshield and then gets glued in. Yes the body is the same and it will fit after removing the windshield moulding clips.

As MJR notes, because the new style seal actually goes around the edge of the glass, it cannot be installed without removing the window. If the windshield is well-centered, you can use it without removing the pins for the old style molding.

Back