• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to make my rig look less soccer mom like...

Mud tires make a big difference. My 2001 XJ doesn't have any lift, but I think it looks pretty good for a daily driver..

Here's the three biggest things I've done to mine.

1) - Trimmed fenders and installed Bushwacker Flat Fender Flares.
This allowed me to fit larger tires without needing to lift it over factory heigth. The BW flares cost me ~ $350 new. If that's too much money, you can just trim without flares, or I've seen threads on making them out of cheap landscaping trim that didn't look terrible.

2) - Installed 31" BFG KM2 Mud-Terrains on low-backspaced rims. The low backspaced rims make the tires stick out as wide as my flares, gives it a more aggressive stance, and avoids rubbing when I make turns.

3) - Removed plastic trim from front bumper.
I stripped my front bumper down to just the main metal piece, then added endcaps off a pre-97 cherokee bumper to cover the exposed ends. This matches my trimmed fenders and I think it looks a lot better than having all that low-hanging plastic on there.

- The tow-hooks and front skid plate were already there from the factory. I attached the hi-lift jack to my stock luggage rack with some U-bolts and rubber bungee cord pieces.

307lu1c.jpg

please take that off of there, or keep your jeep off of the road.
35256_104886609565764_100001332774399_36482_795848_n.jpg

Interesting comment from a guy who has a large spare tire on his luggage rack. Looks like just a nylon strap holding it there, too... Don't tell me you never drove down a public road with that tire up there...

Easy guys... thanks for all the comments. My bumper should be here today. and pocket flares are in the plan for the near future. I am also on the hunt for different wheels that stick out a bit.

Talyn, is that a 3" lift? thanks

I like my XJ looking mundane, draws less attention from law enforcement and potential thieves.

Forget the Fuzz, I'd rather deal with them any day than a thief. A correctly lifted, modded, armored, tires, and decked out Cherokee = BREAD. Unfortunately thieves also realize this, and when determined enough there's really nothing you can do to stop them. I prefer the low-profile-style for this reason.

Forget the Fuzz, I'd rather deal with them any day than a thief. A correctly lifted, modded, armored, tires, and decked out Cherokee = BREAD. Unfortunately thieves also realize this, and when determined enough there's really nothing you can do to stop them. I prefer the low-profile-style for this reason.

Slap some NRA stickers on the jeep, and park next to civics with fart cans.

I swear I've gotten out of at least two tickets because of my jeep. One of the conversations honestly went from "Do you know how fast you were going?" to "So where did you get your shackles, you should join this wheelin' club..."

:thumbup:

Hit it with a hammer - free
Take it to the shooting range and put some "speed holes" in it - cheap
Repaint it with crappy spray paint. Make sure to do a bad job - also cheap
Quit worrying about what it looks like so long as it works - priceless

Mud tires make a big difference. My 2001 XJ doesn't have any lift, but I think it looks pretty good for a daily driver..

Here's the three biggest things I've done to mine.

1) - Trimmed fenders and installed Bushwacker Flat Fender Flares.
This allowed me to fit larger tires without needing to lift it over factory heigth. The BW flares cost me ~ $350 new. If that's too much money, you can just trim without flares, or I've seen threads on making them out of cheap landscaping trim that didn't look terrible.

2) - Installed 31" BFG KM2 Mud-Terrains on low-backspaced rims. The low backspaced rims make the tires stick out as wide as my flares, gives it a more aggressive stance, and avoids rubbing when I make turns.

3) - Removed plastic trim from front bumper.
I stripped my front bumper down to just the main metal piece, then added endcaps off a pre-97 cherokee bumper to cover the exposed ends. This matches my trimmed fenders and I think it looks a lot better than having all that low-hanging plastic on there.

- The tow-hooks and front skid plate were already there from the factory. I attached the hi-lift jack to my stock luggage rack with some U-bolts and rubber bungee cord pieces.

307lu1c.jpg

What rims are those? I have been trying to decide on a set to throw on my XJ for a while so I can ditch the heavy steel wheels for something way better looking!

... I am thinking I need wider wheels with a bigger backspace, and maybe some flares? Any suggestions welcomed. Do not really have a huge budget for the XJ so I can not lift more or get bigger tires right now.
Ditch the side-body molding, then hit the grill, head light bezels, bumpers, and maybe the flairs, with semi-gloss black. :explosion
100_2760.jpg

What rims are those? I have been trying to decide on a set to throw on my XJ for a while so I can ditch the heavy steel wheels for something way better looking!

They are MB Chaos rims (wheels), 15x8. I bought them new last spring from Discount Tire for around $100 each.

381832_2943592999185_1542048728_32815320_1612382227_n.jpg

Started with more lift. Around 4" lift now. Took front bumper off and as soon as I fix the Steering box bolts that broke I will throw on my Bumper/brush guard combo.

larsen, are those Bushwackers or knock offs? I ask just bc they look glossy almost. thanks

Back