• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to identify frame damage

skywalkr

NAXJA Forum User
So some jack-off decided to swerve in front of me and slam on his brakes...now I have a nice scar on the driver side of my 97 XJ...wasn't a big show or anything, I was going about 10mph and the airbags didn't deploy...but the bumper is crushed in and the bottom left of the driver side fender is curved in (not bent)

How do I identify frame damage? I am going to pull the bumper caps and bumper bar tonight...what am I looking for as far as frame damage goes? You probably need pics to answer this question so I will post them tonight...figured I would throw this out there now...

um really? crack here, crack there, similar to your ass crack. Just look at that in the mirror, then relate that to the identifying of such

I'll be sure to include a pic of my ass crack for comparison...

so bends aren't frame damage? I ask because if there is frame damage I am going to file a claim so insurance can pick up the tab...

So some jack-off decided to swerve in front of me and slam on his brakes...now I have a nice scar on the driver side of my 97 XJ...wasn't a big show or anything, I was going about 10mph and the airbags didn't deploy...but the bumper is crushed in and the bottom left of the driver side fender is curved in (not bent)

How do I identify frame damage? I am going to pull the bumper caps and bumper bar tonight...what am I looking for as far as frame damage goes? You probably need pics to answer this question so I will post them tonight...figured I would throw this out there now...
correction: unibody damage

I'd say that is a good reason to upgrade to a new beefy steel off-road bumper and be thankful you did not rear end the beyotch at full speed.

Are all of your hood, doors, and hatch spaces the same as before?

Crawl under the front end, look closely at the frame where it ties into the bumper. It should be straight, not deformed or pushed off-center. Check the gaps between your front clip, hood, doors and body, they should be even and fair up nicely inboard/outboard. Drive it a bit, it should track straight and not crab-walk or otherwise feel different than before. Chances are that the bumper and fender absorbed the impact and the uni-body is fine.

finally got around to getting the bumper off...here is what I found...

638KaF-q1-v6NsLPxjf68Q
photo%285%29.jpg

and here is what it's supposed to look like...

kDsmF-mQLk45bjuKBA4LhA
photo.jpg

also, the frame rail (I think thats what it's called ... the piece that bumper mount is bolted to) is smashed in on the other side...you can't see it in the picture...

I did some preliminary pulls to see if I could bend that piece back but don't think I will be able to do it...I have an appointment to get a revised estimate on Wednesday...any thoughts?

Last edited:
Having worked in insurance claims...

file the claim.

If your pics were bigger, I could give a better estimate

Looking at the first small pic you posted, that tab with the two holes in it should be 90* from the front cross member, not almost completely flat like in that picture.

This is considered unibody damage.

my bad on the pictures...first time linking from picasa...

photo%285%29.jpg

and you can kind of see the frame rail (is that the frame rail?) damage in this one...taken before I took the bumper off...

photo1.jpg

go to a shop with a frame puller, they can repair that. then you go in an reinforce with some plates. tmz i think it is make a quality front subeframe plate

My XJ was in an accident by one of its previous owners... I pulled the bumper, and noticed that the two brackets that attach to the uni-body (that have three bolts on each) now only has one bolt on one side, and two on the other! Not that they are missing, but the holes in the body are mashed and torn....

As Mike1331 mentioned, Im looking to re-enforce those holes for the bumper brackets probably by getting those tow-hook brackets. More than likely, I will bolt, then weld up the new towing brackets to the uni-body. Then, my bumper will have all 6 bolted connections back, and new tow points! Just a thought. Hope that helps, and best of luck to you!

yeah, I'm waiting for insurance to get back with me, depending on how much to fix the unibody damage will determine whether I keep it or part it out... :(

If insurance totals it out (which I don't expect now that you have that quote) let them, buy it back, make sure you get the full value of the vehicle originally and bring the buyback number as low as you can. You'll get a salvage title and will be able to fix it to OEM level again with some of the money and then get it reinspected to get a full title again. At least, that's how it can work in MA.

Jeep_Disassembled.jpg

My lower radiator support was crushed in by a deer last October. A friend of mine who works in a metal fabrication shop came over with a couple of hammers, dollies, and a come-a-long, and pulled and beat mine back out. Both of my "bumper tabs" were flattened like yours. He bent them back out straight, and we installed a JCR Offroad bumper along with the uni-body tie-in brackets to strengthen that area to much better than it was from the factory.

The above photo is BEFORE the straightening. Here's how it looked after:

Jeep_Frontless.jpg

Back