• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to get a vehicle home with no front end?

TLowery04

NAXJA Forum User
hey all, first post in awhile,

I am considering purchase of a 93 model Cherokee from a guy about 20 miles from me. it has a blown motor but the body is supposedly in great shape.

However, it is a 4x2 (ugh), and the front end was bought and removed for use on a trailer or something i am still a bit fuzzy on what he was saying.

I'm going to look at it this weekend and was wondering if anyone had any experience towing a vehicle with only two wheels. Short of driving a tractor (would take about 4 hours round trip) to his house to lift up the front end and push it onto a trailer i am at a loss for ideas.

i had thought maybe some sort of skid made out of 4x4 posts or something but that is as far as my brain is willing to work right now.

I have a car hauler trailor and a goose neck available to me, neither tilt, have ramps, or a winch. but i think my neighbor a mile down the road has some ramps i can borrow.

the question is how to load without the use of well almost anything, and unload without tearing up the transmission and transfer case or the oil pan.

Maybe find a JY axle and toss it under with a few bolts?

hi-lift the front end up, roll trailer under it, drag it the rest of the way onto the trailre with a winch and some boards under the lower control arm mounts so they don't dig into the decking.

I did it with no axles or wheels. I used a pallet jack under the front end, so that it could roll while I backed the trailer under it. Then I used a come along to drag it on the rest of the way. It was such a miserable day too.

sadjeep.jpg

I've loaded 2 without tires/suspension/axles now and we just used a winch both times. We just jacked the rear as high as possible and then backed the trailer underneath of it about halfway and winched the rest. Helps (as mentioned before) If you lay down some boards under the LCA mounts, really helps it "slide" along.

Back