• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how strong is a hack n tap

I ran that kit, I had no problems with it. But you CAN break that shaft even with the right stuff. I just swapped out a 231 in my roommates wrangler. He broke that shaft. He was running 31s at the time! So it is possible.

Matt

azxjman said:
I twisted off the output shaft right at the speedo gear. I was also being the hardest I have ever been on my jeep trying to help someone out.

The HD SYE still have the same diameter at the speed gear so you most likely would have broken it even with a non-H&T SYE. Correct?

stoneattic said:
The HD SYE still have the same diameter at the speed gear so you most likely would have broken it even with a non-H&T SYE. Correct?

Wrong,plus the JB unit is under 200$ now!
hd%20sye.jpg

stoneattic said:
How does the speedo work on that shaft or is it a trail only setup?
It uses the factory speedo drive but it has a different drive gear that is relocated in the "new" housing!

Like Matt said, it has nothing to do with the hack and tap, it has to do with the size of the output shaft. I've seen a number of 28 spline output shafts break. Two years a go in Moab, I saw two XJ's break 28 spline output shafts within a few minutes of each other on Double Wammy. It seems that what it takes to break one is a good bounce with plenty of throttle. I haven't seen one break even with a lot of throttle if there isn't any bouncing. There are two problems with this.....you can be doing well and then get that one bounce....and if it does break you are either leaving it there and bringing back the parts to fix it or you're getting dead pulled out.

I ran a long time with a 28 spline output shaft with no problems. When I went to the Tera60 I changed to the HD 32 spline output, because I didn't want the t-case to be the new weak link. Back when I bought the 28 spline SYE (Currie) I saved $100 over the HD SYE. I would have been money and labor ahead to have spent the extra $100 back then.

The decision is between a 28 and a 32 spline output, what you can afford to spend, and what you think you'll do in the future.

Thanks Goatman, as usual you have sage advice....Unfortunately about 3 days after my initial post ( a month ago) I went out and did the hack n' tap. I probably could have afforded the HD, but the hack n' tap seemed so easy. Its too bad, because I learned long ago to just go ahead and do the best you can afford, as this jeep thing just never goes away.....
Buck

There is one funny thing with the RE hack and tap kit. When they first came out people found the new flange yoke would easily slide onto the t-case output shaft. After a few months it would get a little sloppy on there. Somewhere along the line RE tightened up the splines giving a much tighter fit. I bought a RE hack and tap kit a year or so ago but unfortunately I must have received an old stock item from my local off-road shop as the flange just slid on easily...sure enough now it's sloppy on there.

I'm not 100% sure on this info but it seems to be the case from hearing peoples experience over the past few years.

Part of the problem with the Hack-n-tap, is the age and use of the original output shaft. Where did you go wheeling, what size tires were you running, did you have the propper diff ratio before the SYE. At what angles was your shaft at before the SYE. All this plus the normal service life are all contributing factors to the stress on the OEM shaft.

The hack-n-tap has it's place. Fro Ex. Do you plan on keeping the 231 or 242? If you have a latter Tcase, the H&T is a very affordable solution. For earlier Tcases your maybe within $50 to having a HD SYE. All in all it does eliviate driveline stress? Also with propper gearing, one may never have an issue with it.

I gave my buddy's freightliner rollback a little tug so he could get all his rear wheels back on pavement and my output shaft and hack n tap had no problems. If you break a 231 output shaft it is time for a stronger case anyway.

Island XJ said:
Buck??? Is that you? I thought you already did the Hack n' tap?
yes I did, and glad to see you here, even if you are at work :nono:. I'm glad i pay you as little as i do!
I don't know why this thread is still going on, I installed it about a month ago. Call me, lets go up to Sooke on sunday eh?
Buck

Buck Jackson said:
yes I did, and glad to see you here, even if you are at work :nono:. I'm glad i pay you as little as i do!
I don't know why this thread is still going on, I installed it about a month ago. Call me, lets go up to Sooke on sunday eh?
Buck

I can't go to sooke tomorrow, I have to work for you! Can't these assessments wait? I wanna go wheeling!!!!! wahh!

Back