• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How much welding wire for frame stiffeners?

thesteveyo

NAXJA Forum User
I have a set of Ruffstuff frame stiffeners that I'm going to tackle within the next few weeks, and I want to be able to finish the project without having to restock on stuff. Is a 10 lb spool (flux core) enough for both sides? Any other consumables you can think of? Flap discs, grinding wheels, etc.

I have a set of Ruffstuff frame stiffeners that I'm going to tackle within the next few weeks, and I want to be able to finish the project without having to restock on stuff. Is a 10 lb spool (flux core) enough for both sides? Any other consumables you can think of? Flap discs, grinding wheels, etc.
Ummmmmmm, yes. Ten pounds of wire should be more than enough.

I'll be watching since I have stiffeners on my slate.

cant imagine doing all that with flux, but ya gotta do with what ya got. 10 lbs should be fine, I used the spongy disc from hd to clean off the frame rails, hit the duty cyle on my Hobart 140 twice, lots of welding, just be patient and keep plugging away

cant imagine doing all that with flux, but ya gotta do with what ya got. 10 lbs should be fine, I used the spongy disc from hd to clean off the frame rails, hit the duty cyle on my Hobart 140 twice, lots of welding, just be patient and keep plugging away
im in the process of doing mine... and i found that if you take the time to get a good fit-up, it makes welding a breeze.

but i like welding.

Clean and strip discs for sure.. takes that undercoat right off. Then hit the areas that will be welded with flap disc.

Thanks. It sounds straightforward, but like everything else I attempt, it turns out being more work than anticipated. I just hope to not be too surprised as I do this.

The Ruffstuff stiffeners have a front portion that goes where the control arm brackets are. I'm keeping stock control arms for now, so I'll cut the frame stiffeners at that part. When I go long arms in the future, I can weld the portion that I cut off back on, right?

Thanks. It sounds straightforward, but like everything else I attempt, it turns out being more work than anticipated. I just hope to not be too surprised as I do this.

The Ruffstuff stiffeners have a front portion that goes where the control arm brackets are. I'm keeping stock control arms for now, so I'll cut the frame stiffeners at that part. When I go long arms in the future, I can weld the portion that I cut off back on, right?

You can, if you're a decent welder. Just make sure to weld up the V as well.

Personally, I feel like flux core is going to be more difficult than argon/co2, mainly because there's a tonne of upside down bead that's gotta be laid. Get your weld area's ridiculously clean before you start, and don't give up on pre-fitting. IE: if something isn't mating up real good, don't try to weld it. Make it fit properly first or you'll have a bad day :).

I always have a 10b spool in there with a backup 10b spool and then an emergency 2lber.

Just be stocked up on welding wire, its not that expensive and you will use it eventually

ten pounds last my welder a long time.. millermatic 185 with a spoolgun for alum. , but flux core will run hotter and burn in better then gas if you have it set up right, the welds are just not as pretty and there not as picky about being as clean as with gas i.m.o. ,nothing likes grease or oil.

Ya I did sliders bumper full cage 2 frame stiffies and one front stiff and some other small crap before I burned a 10lb.. You'll use maybe. 1.5lb of that spool. And typically the Lincoln wire from HD is 12lbs fwiw

Back