• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how much to fix 0331 issue?

solomon7

NAXJA Forum User
I'm asking this for a neighbor who has a 2000 XJ 170.000 miles with either a cracked head gasket, head or both. he'll be taking it to a shop and is wondering what he's looking at as far as cost. Anyone have input on this?
Would he be better off/ cheaper to just swap in another engine?
He is NOT mechanically inclined so it will be all shop work, about 85/hour.

On a side note he may just sell it. What would it be worth with just gasket or head issue? It's a beautiful rig except for the o331 deal, and I was gonna buy it till this.

Not sure how much time a shop would charge to do the job but they shouldn't charge more than 8 hours I would think. If you pulled a head from a JY 98-99 model and swapped on there it'd be alot quicker and cheaper. I'm sure you could probably find some guys in the local chapter that would prolly be willing to lend their local expertise.

If you want quick and cheap don't use a 98-99 head as the exhaust manifold on the 2000 won't work with the earlier heads well.

Quick and cheap way is either to get a 0331 head from Alabama Cylinder head or find a good used head from 2003 on which has "TUPY" cast between the 3 and 4 cylinders.

I would also inspect the bearings for any excessive wear from the oil being contaminated with coolant.

X2-I got a '98 head on craigslist for $50, but then you have to change the exhaust header and probably the downpipe. And rig coil brackets. If you are paying someone else to do it, it might be cheaper to get a 2003 or later head from a TJ 4.0.

Rough value -- $3k running good, $2k needing head.

Last edited:
The shop should be able to provide a quote once they figure it out. Head gasket obviously quite a bit less outlay than a head replacement. Fair amount of labor charges involved with either though.

Alabama Cylinder Head and Clearwater Cylinder Head have been good sources for replacement heads for others on these forums with a cracked head.

Or as mentioned by others, a newer 4.0 head (TUPY is a revised casting) can be used that doesn't have the casting flaw that the original factory 0331 head has.

Burning coolant is tough on bearings. Depending on how long it has been run this way and if you suspect further damage, it MIGHT be better to swap in a salvage yard engine if you can find one reasonably and locally.

Good luck and let us know what you find out!

Last edited:
If it was me!
With 170K on the clock, If I could find a good condition low mileage 4.0 I would swap it in.
If you go with the head swap make sure you check out the bearings as the combo of 170k miles & coolant in the oil could have screwed them up.
good luck!

I put an Alabama head on my '01 and thought that was the most cost effective/peace of mind way to go. You could use a '98-99 head and still use your stock exhaust manifold. There's a guy on here that makes an adapter plate. I'd just put an APN header on it while you have everything off and go to town(unless it's the Cali emission model w/the 3 cats..).

Back