• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How much should a repair shop charge for

Holy old post batman

Those rates may seem too high, however for a professional shop appear to be close to a norm, possibly less than some shops.

Here's an on-line estimator ... enter vehicle information and zip code to get a range of what certain types of jobs cost per zip code.

http://www.napaautocare.com/estimator.aspx#

http://www.automd.com/repairguide/understanding-the-shop-estimate/

Labour rate estimates used by shops usually come from a book based on a national average. A job e.g. may take 1.6 hours which is a nationally averaged amount of time.

Labour times are often broken down for removal and installation of specific parts. Installation of a new radiator may include labour times for removing and installing parts such as fans, etc. in order to replace the radiator.

Doing the brakes and cooling system your self, price depends on what parts are worn / replaced and where you purchase, after-market or OE.

Rear brakes:

brake fluid
drums x 2
wheel cylinders x 2
rear drum brake kit(s) x 2
pads x 2

other: replacement of brake lines

Cooling system

Radiator
Radiator hose (upper/lower)
Heater hoses
Antifreeze
Water pump
Belt
Radiator cap
Thermostat

Last edited:
A way I quick estimate that seems to work out for me most times, is to take the cost of the parts retail, double it and then double it again for labor.

Kind of an average, as some shops charge way more for labor than others. The way I estimate may be a bit high, but it helps avoid unpleasant surprises.

The part that chaps my rear end is most times the shop screws something up that either requires another trip to the shop or you end up fixing it yourself again anyways.

I'll never forget the new tranny I had installed, would have done it myself but was sick at the time. The wife drove it forty some miles home from the shop four quarts low on tranny fluid.:doh:

Back