• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how much more welding do i need to do for my frame stiffeners?

I'd rather do 1/2 rosettes, vs a 3/8ths rosette, the small rosettes are harder to get proper penetration on the bottom layer, dont forget once you get to the 2nd half of the rosette, you are only adding material on top.
i did 1/2" so i could actualy see in the hole when i was welding to make sure i was getting proper penetration. i used some crappy weld thru primer that was a little difficult to get the weld started properly. it was very easy to just get a blob on the surface if you werent careful.

Mine are holding up just fine, although I have only had them on for a while. 10 gauge is plenty, I have my cage/sliders/long arm mounts, etc. going to them with no problems. 3/16 would work, but its still only as strong as the weakest link (the 'frame' rails.)

~ Stump

i did 1/2" so i could actualy see in the hole when i was welding to make sure i was getting proper penetration. i used some crappy weld thru primer that was a little difficult to get the weld started properly. it was very easy to just get a blob on the surface if you werent careful.

i highlighted the problem for ya....

3/16 would work, but its still only as strong as the weakest link (the 'frame' rails.)

~ Stump
see i dont think i agree with this 100%. with thinner stiffeners, you're relying more on the welds in the concentrated stress area (under your control arm brackets for example). This is because thinner stuff doesnt have the rigidity to be it's own structure, so to speak. with thicker material, it is less likely to flex so more of that load is shared across every weld along the frame rail instead of just the few under or around the control arm bracket.
but with that said, i dont really know where that line in the sand is when it comes to how thick is thick enough. but i certainly don't think going with thicker stuff is a waste.

I dont care if you use 1/2" plate, it will move/flex. I would prefer the added material to move more with the OEM material, otherwise it will start tearing the frame rails at the welds. Unless you do a complete box frame, front to back, all we are doing is adding a band-aid. Never said 3/16 was a waste, just not necessarily needed in my opinion. It will work.

Back