• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How many miles on your stroker? Any issues?

How was your stroker built?

• Total voters
Dr. Dyno said:
I run Ford 24lb injectors, stock 39psi regulator, and MAP adjuster set at 5.15v (stock voltage is 5.04v). Only fuel available to me is 91 octane with MTBE.
The combination of Flowkooler high-flow water pump, Robertshaw 180* t'stat, good factory two-row radiator, and cold air intake ensure that the engine runs cool and stays ping-free even on a 115*F summer day. Keeping the cylinder head and intake air temps. down are critical elements in preventing detonation.

I was wonder about the adjustable MAP, is that home made or can it be purchased at the local stealership?

Thanks
Ken

I've got around 25k miles on my AP stroker (Renix w/ 24# injectors). I developed some pinging and overheating at highway speeds over the summer, but I think a plugged cat was to blame. The cat's been fixed and I'll find out how it runs once the weather warms up.

-Jon

Now I have 9500 miles on my stroker and it feels like it's only just broken in. Gas mileage has improved to an average of 20mpg (mixed city/highway). Managed a best of 22.0mpg on the highway averaging about 75mph.

'91. HO 4.7. AP parts. 12K miles, smoked for about the first 1K miles before I took off across county for about 4000 miles round trip. Not smoking anymore and actually feels stronger the longer I have it. 87-89 octane at low elevation. It really made the XJ a blast to drive again, I even looked forward to high mountain passes on the highway, flat out walked away from everything else and rarely downshifted to forth gear let alone third like before.TC

Those of you that shimmed your rockers....what thickness shims did you use?

I milled .010" off the block and used the stock pushrods with the stock rockers and moper performance valve springs...the preload seems to be within spec......or so the machine shop that did the assembly told me. Like was mentioned earlier i get a valve train noise when warm....thinking of shimming the rockers to see if it helps.

Just under 4000 on the 4.6. It was built with parts from my garage other than the pistons I got from Mike. It impressed a die hard ford fan so it must have some power. I like it so much I building another one. I'm hoping to do it for around $1200 and so far I am on track. I have the same lifter noise at idle. Does any one have dyno results?
4.0 rods
forged pistons .030
comp cam
ported/ polished head with over sized valves
performance distributer's fire ball ignition
62mm TB
Banks header
Dyno Max ultra-flow cat back
24# injectors
hesco regulator

I thinnk mines close to 12k now without a single problem yet, even with the crap 35 and 3.55 rear I can still brake satnd the 25's till they want to blow.

Bender said:
Those of you that shimmed your rockers....what thickness shims did you use?

I milled .010" off the block and used the stock pushrods with the stock rockers and moper performance valve springs...the preload seems to be within spec......or so the machine shop that did the assembly told me. Like was mentioned earlier i get a valve train noise when warm....thinking of shimming the rockers to see if it helps.

Don't bother. The ticking noise is from the rockers and it's caused by the combination of higher valve lift and stronger springs. Shimming the rockers or even installing roller rockers won't help. Just live with it. Mine seems to be diminishing as I add more miles.

Now my stroker's at 12200 miles and it feels like it's still getting stronger. Valvetrain noise barely noticeable at idle. Engine's a real sweetie and revs beyond 5000rpm without breaking sweat. I love it.
I'm thinking about rebuilding my spare 174k mile old 4.0 engine into another stroker.

4.6L Accurate Power kit

bent comp cam, moves the distributor back and forth and wears them out.

Spend $$$ trying to figure out why it wasn't running right- I didn't think it was the distributor cuz it was pretty new.

I still need to swap out the damn cam.

No problems otherwise, lots of low end torque.

About 3000 miles

mines going on 30k miles

Here is my engine; Engine was finished 1-1-03
Bored throttle body 59mm (3-8-03)
Ford motorsport 24 lb injectors
custom Childs & Albert pistons (9.4:1)
use 4.0 rods
stronger head bolts
head ported by Borowski racing
mopar perf head gasket
Perfect Circle rings
pistons coated
main cap girdle AKA brace
crower 44243 cam
Cloyes roller chain
lightweight 258 crank shortened snout and turned
all was balanced

all using renix injection.

I'm at 23,000 miles now and life with the stroker is sweeter than ever (knock on wood). Gas mileage is still improving; overall gas mileage nearly as good as my old 4.0, highway gas mileage slightly better than my old 4.0.
For a flying brick, 20 miles per imperial gallon (calculated using odometer mileage divided by no. of gallons needed to fill tank up to the brim) cruising at a steady true 85mph (speedo showing 90) is pretty damn good.

165 miles as of this afternoon.

2000 XJ
4.7L Titan Engine Long Block
27lb Bosch Injectors
Clifford Header
K&N FIPK

And thanks to Dr. Dyno, no more vacuum leak.

My only problem thus far was two disentegrated cardboard composite header reducer gaskets. I probably tightened the collectors to the reducers too much and cracked the gaskets. In any regard the hairline crack explanded and ended up destroying both. I picked up two copper ones from JEG'S and just put 'em on today. Problem fixed!

can you guys also include $ invested in the stroker... im thinking about it this winter and am curious what the price ranges are to build one of these.

Dido on the price range. I have been looking around different places and nothing showing me prices.

jjvande Nice to see some else from NM. I live down the road in Grants.

Bo

~5000 miles on mine. Bought a kit. My brother and his partner built it up. The pistons don't have the moly coating on the skirts, so it sounds like it has forged pistons in it. Doesn't really like 87 octane all that much. Generally, it gets 89+ octane. Runs great.

Back