• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How long do the stock injectors typically last?

I didn't see many options in that thread for a 2000 XJ. So I'm assuming that I should go back with Stock OE injectors?

I can't speak as to other injectors or years, but the Bosch 0280155917 units (orange injectors associated with V8 Fords) have been in my 2000 for about 1200 miles now and there are zero issues with them. Installation is completely plug & play; you should be fine with these. Fuel economy has seen a steady 0.5mpg improvement, and midrange performance and throttle response are slightly better.

Best bet is to Google the part number for them and shop around. I was able to get a full set of six brand-new ones from eBay for what refurbs would have cost.

Casm, how do they differ from stock injectors? Better atomization?

Casm, how do they differ from stock injectors? Better atomization?

Pretty much that plus a slightly higher flow rate. Basically, the orange injectors use a 4-hole nozzle rather than the pintle type the OEM ones came with, so atomisation's improved. Also, the XJ's fuel rail flows at a higher pressure than the Ford one, so 19lbs./hr. in a Ford translates out to around 24lbs./hr. in an XJ; stock is around 22lbs./hr. on a 4.0.

Pretty much that plus a slightly higher flow rate. Basically, the orange injectors use a 4-hole nozzle rather than the pintle type the OEM ones came with, so atomisation's improved. Also, the XJ's fuel rail flows at a higher pressure than the Ford one, so 19lbs./hr. in a Ford translates out to around 24lbs./hr. in an XJ; stock is around 22lbs./hr. on a 4.0.

Are you getting a hotter burn, e.g. hotter engine? Although, I might be confusing a gasoline engine for a diesel engine. I know with a diesel engine, better atomization means more power. More power also means hotter EGT’s. I’m not sure if I completely understand how heat, over-fueling, and power could lead to engine danger in a gasoline application.

Are you getting a hotter burn, e.g. hotter engine? Although, I might be confusing a gasoline engine for a diesel engine. I know with a diesel engine, better atomization means more power. More power also means hotter EGT’s. I’m not sure if I completely understand how heat, over-fueling, and power could lead to engine danger in a gasoline application.

Nope. Coolant temperatures are sitting at their usual 195degF-210degF.

It's probably worth mentioning that I do have an upgraded fan clutch, new OEM thermostat, and 3-row radiator in there, but those were unrelated to the injectors - basically, it was time to do them a few months back, so I took the opportunity to beef some stuff up while I was in there. FWIW, though, I haven't heard of anyone running warmer after the injector upgrade (and given how small the increase in fuel delivery is, wouldn't expect to).

. . .or you can have them professionally serviced. They can then tell you if the individual injectors need to be replaced. Another forum recommended <link>http://www.cruzinperformance.com/. You might give him (or a similar shop) a call and see what they can do for you.

For an explanation of their service, check out: <link>

Cheers,
D
this isn't a blatant attempt at advertising or anything, nope :rolleyes:

Do you think that auto parts store will have it?

EDIT: I found BG's website, but they only list service center locations. They're all dealerships in my area, except for one Jiffy Lube. The last time I saw it at the dealership they were charging $75.00 per can.

EBAY is your friend. Just picked up a can for $14 plus $6 shipping.

this isn't a blatant attempt at advertising or anything, nope :rolleyes:

No, this was not. But thanks for the false accusation. I have no affiliation with this or any other fuel injection cleaning business - or any other automotive service for that matter. I'm not even sure how you picked up from my post that I might be associated with it.

But for the effort, you win a free:
office_space_kit_mat.jpg

Cheers,
D

I got my UOA today. The overall severity of the report is showing normal. My fuel contamination has dropped from 3.6% (High end of ABNORMAL), Viscosity 9.0 (Critical), to 1.8% (High end of NORMAL), Here are a few factors:

1. The only change that I made was adding the Amsoil gasoline fuel treatment. Sorry guys, I had a hard time finding the BG44K. Anyway, this fuel treatment may have helped with a sticky “leaky” injector? I don’t know…….

Conclusion: I’m going to add another bottle of the Amsoil gasoline treatment to see if I can totally eliminate fuel in my oil.

No, this was not. But thanks for the false accusation. I have no affiliation with this or any other fuel injection cleaning business - or any other automotive service for that matter. I'm not even sure how you picked up from my post that I might be associated with it.

But for the effort, you win a free:

Cheers,
D
My apologies. I apparently woke up on the wrong side of the bed that morning... or was just more of an a-hole than usual.

Back