• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How: Is it the Ball Joints or Unit Bearing?

xzalt

NAXJA Forum User
I've got 95 d30/np231 and like many I'm getting a clunking noise from my front passenger side wheel. My question is how can I tell if it's the ball joints or the unit bearing?

It seems in my reading that the test of getting the wheel off the ground and rocking the wheel/tire back and forth at 12 and 6 is applied to both problems.

My tire/wheel certainly rocks back and forth, there is a good bit of play. But how can I tell which it is?

I guess it could always be something different, but from what I've read these seem the most probable. I realize the answer may be obvious, but I just don't know what it is.

Thanks in advance!

Gavin

95 XJ | Knoxville, TN

look behind the tire where the ball joints are attached to the knuckles. if its ball joints you'll see them moving there, if its the unit bearing only the wheel and rotor will move.

Super helpful thanks!

When I pushed the wheel the ball joints stayed the same and the wheel moved and I looked like the axle shaft was moving as well.

So I now know it's the Unit Bearing, right?

I assume this is a "fix-asap" part correct?

Thanks

gavin

Back