• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How do you reach the lower exhaust bolts?

n1ywb

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to check the torque on my lower exhaust manifold bolts (actually a paceshitter header). How the hell do you reach them? It's like you need a 3 foot long offset gear wrench just to get past all the pipes and crap and get some torque on them.

A foot and a half or so worth of extensions (I just threw assorted ones together till I got about the length I needed), a universal joint, and the socket work pretty well, that is, after you remove the airbox.

Helps if you have 4 elbows per arm and/or are double jointed.

problem is some of the pipes seem to be right in front of the bolts. I dunno if a ujoint is going to do it. Maybe a crows foot...

Listen to kastein, he nailed it. Use a short 14 MM 3/8 drive socket,with a U joint right at the socket and 18" of extensions. A 1/2" extension is very tight, but the 3/8 works fine. Pull the air box too. I just did this today.

Yeah... did this in the junkyard a few weekends ago with only a set of 1/2" drive impact sockets, 1/2" ratchet, 1/2" extensions etc. The only step I forgot in my last post was the proper combination of 4-letter words to utter for each bolt, and the exact quantity of blood sacrifice required, but I can't really post that info without getting an infraction so you'll have to determine it empirically :dunno:

I picked up a universal 9/16th socket; it’s shorter than a socket and universal. I have a Borla, I think there may have been 1 or 2 that I guessed at. I think the spec. Is 20lbs or something silly, it’s just enough to crunch the gasket and allow movement? I understand the Jeepspeed guy’s are using Hi Temp Silicone on the exhaust and an Anaerobic Flange Sealant on the intake (Neat stuff not only does it seal it gules the flanges together). This is done without a gasket but I could be wrong.

Wobble head extensions are awesome.

Also, if you use a universal, wrap a few bands of electrical tape around the joint. It will still flex but now you will not have to hold it strait to get it engaged.

I usually take the power steering pump off and reach in through there with a wrench or a socket. It's worth the time to remove the pump to be sure the bolts are tight.

Yeah, makes sense - it's mostly bolted to the intake manifold anyways, so if you are pulling the exhaust manifold or screwing around with it you're probably 90% of the way to getting the PS pump out of your way already.

After you get all them extensions and U-joints in there, can you still get an accurate torque setting on those bolts, or are you just going by feel?

I was able to get up in there with a gear wrench and torque them to german specs, mostly by shoving my own arm into places it really shouldn't fit.

The universal socket might do it, one of the bolts is really really tight against the pipe, I couldn't even get the gear end of the wrench on it, had to use the crescent end.

After you get all them extensions and U-joints in there, can you still get an accurate torque setting on those bolts, or are you just going by feel?

Take your time, and don't use the extensions to either side of a mid-line U-joint as "levers" (don't turn, just twist) and you can get accurate torquing of the manifold screws. I always manage to, anyhow.

Takes time and care, but it can certainly be done.

Back