• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How do you paint bare metal?

BOB

MWC geezer
NAXJA Member
when you buy rock rails, bumpers, skids etc. How do you prep and paint the bare metal?

I have some ideas...but feel this would be a good thread for others who use the "search" feature.:lecture:

Thanks.

BOB

most of those places that ship you products in bare metal leave them coated with a very light coat of oil to prevent rust. use a good degreaser or paint thinner. then hit it with some self etching primer.

now your ready to finish it how you want... i vote bed liner.

Get it wet and rub it down with salt.

Search NOOB! It's been covered a gazillion times! :D

:wave:

Rub it down with acetone, then hit it with a coat of self etching sandable primer..

Then hit it with 3 coats of Paint..

Depends what type of finish you're going for...

Rock rails, bumpers, brackets, etc (aka cheap and will get bashed on), get a wire wheel, a wipe down with some acetone/brake cleaner/whatever the most poisonous thing I can find in the garage is, and spray bombed.

If I feel like taking a little more time, I'll use better prep better quality stuff. Wire wheel. Wipe down MANY time with dawn dish soap and water. Wipe down 2-3 times with 90% iso alcohol. Epoxy primer. Basecoat. Clearcoat.

Then you can go all out and just do everything right. Designated wax and grease removers, epoxy primers, fill primers, color sanding, etc etc. I don't see any need for that here though.

]\
Rock rails, bumpers, brackets, etc (aka cheap and will get bashed on), get a wire wheel, a wipe down with some acetone/brake cleaner/whatever the most poisonous thing I can find in the garage is, and spray bombed.

Rule of thumb: the worse it is for you/ the environment, the better it works!

Friggin CA brake cleaner is about worthless!

for bumpers and such i have:
-taken flap wheel to any slag or weld splash
-wipe down entire surface with xylene a few times
-self etch primer
-a few rattlecan coats of choice
-quick coat of clearcoat

I used the clearcoat on my vinyl fender flares several years ago.
I prepped with lacquer thinner, sanded couple coats of rattle can black and three coats of clearcoat. They still look great.

BOB

Yea all chemicals in CA are worthless lol. We still have the chlorinated mega max super soaker style brake cleaner at work. Not only does it work amazing, but by the time you empty a can, you're high as a kite :)

Back