• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How do you install a lift kit???

Knowing how to drive at 16? Lol I want an invite when u go wheeling for the first time.. and hope u don't flop.. I think most everyone has worked their way up to 6 to 8 inches of lift... I started of with 31s and cut fenders.. then 3 inch lift that cost 5.99 for center pins.. It helped me understand the less complicated aspect of wheeling.. like momentum.. approach angles.. with that much lift u will get into situations u won't want to be in when u don't know what to do.. turn the wrong way and. Your on your lid.. but that's. Up to you. working with an older buddy helped me learn tricks to make wrenching easier.. but I searched here on naxja.. learn from others build threads.. if u want a complete 6 inch lift I would

If I were you I would search bastard pack.. use a comanche pack with cherokee top leaf.. 5 inches of lift.. ditch the adjustable shackle and blocks.. get a 1.5 greasable shackle.. invest in a drop trackbar mount and adj trackbar. Buy my buddies 88red2dr rubicon express adj. arms and drop brackets and go to oil filter service in portland and have them make you 3 stainless steel braided brake lines.. find out the length for 6.5 inches. I never have had to run a slip yoke eliminator ever... can hit 80mph with no vibrations or shakes with no sway bars.. but I have had a dana 44 with a 35 driveline since I blew up my 35s spiders at 3 inches of lift.. just make sure your jeep has the correct caster before u do a top speed run or you will be nominated for a darwin award. Good luck..

McJesse. I saw this thread an opening for disaster, being that your asking an honest question with good intentions. And what you are asking them is all second nature to them by now. It's sad that most people here seem to forget where they started.

But suprisingly you seem to be quite mature for your age. I think you'l fit in just fine with the NWC. Keep an eye on Up coming wheeling trips. we would be glad to have you along on one!

Welcome to naxja! good luck with your lift!

Knowing how to drive at 16? Lol I want an invite when u go wheeling for the first time.. and hope u don't flop.. I think most everyone has worked their way up to 6 to 8 inches of lift... I started of with 31s and cut fenders.. then 3 inch lift that cost 5.99 for center pins.. It helped me understand the less complicated aspect of wheeling.. like momentum.. approach angles.. with that much lift u will get into situations u won't want to be in when u don't know what to do.. turn the wrong way and. Your on your lid.. but that's. Up to you. working with an older buddy helped me learn tricks to make wrenching easier.. but I searched here on naxja.. learn from others build threads.. if u want a complete 6 inch lift I would

If I were you I would search bastard pack.. use a comanche pack with cherokee top leaf.. 5 inches of lift.. ditch the adjustable shackle and blocks.. get a 1.5 greasable shackle.. invest in a drop trackbar mount and adj trackbar. Buy my buddies 88red2dr rubicon express adj. arms and drop brackets and go to oil filter service in portland and have them make you 3 stainless steel braided brake lines.. find out the length for 6.5 inches. I never have had to run a slip yoke eliminator ever... can hit 80mph with no vibrations or shakes with no sway bars.. but I have had a dana 44 with a 35 driveline since I blew up my 35s spiders at 3 inches of lift.. just make sure your jeep has the correct caster before u do a top speed run or you will be nominated for a darwin award. Good luck..

hahaha ok :roflmao:I've been wheelin before. i just havent installed a lift kit thats all haha. and i'll let you know when and where i'm wheelin it'll be fun. but right now i need to get the lift and tires. but hell i'll probubly just go on my own street tires?!?! hahaha

Last edited:
McJesse. I saw this thread an opening for disaster, being that your asking an honest question with good intentions. And what you are asking them is all second nature to them by now. It's sad that most people here seem to forget where they started.

But suprisingly you seem to be quite mature for your age. I think you'l fit in just fine with the NWC. Keep an eye on Up coming wheeling trips. we would be glad to have you along on one!

Welcome to naxja! good luck with your lift!

well thanks sounds great. and yeah you do have a point on some people here seem to forget where they started. haha but i'll be there someday that's why im asking all of these questions so i can learn it and do it to

Last edited:
READ THIS NOW!!!

http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/home_brew_budget_boost.htm

Sounds like you're willing to learn, but may be on the wrong track...

I'm on my second XJ with the lift mentioned (about 3 1/2") in the link, and the cost was very reasonable... wrecking yards are your best friends!!! And you can ask around... I run 31" ATs on stock-offset Jeep wheels... NO driveline issues, NO control arm issues, NO trackbar issues... and I get around pretty darn good on the trails we use... I ditched the flares, and have not trimmed fenders... the only thing I think I'm gonna do now is lock the front axle and do bumpers/rock sliders...

Most of it I think is driver ability... I've gone on trails some of the bigger Jeeps have trouble on, just because I've been doing this for a LONG time... half the battle is knowing how to "pick your line" over or through an obstacle/situation... some guys use the "point and shoot" method, others are a little more "lets think this through first" (right Scott, Dustin? lol)... my suggestion: start small, learn what you and your Jeep can do, then upgrade as you need to... just remember... once you go over 3 or so inches and 31" tires, it's really gonna start costing bucks! Highly discourage anything over 32" tires on stock axles, and the bigger the lift, the more crap you have to change/modify/fabricate! And all that stuff leads to this: Just Empty Every Pocket...

Take a look at the link above... do lots of research... and most of all: Have Fun! That's what it's all about...

Questions or whatever? Hit me up... I've done two XJ's with the lift (or variations of) in the Rock Lizard article... works VERY well, uses wrecking yard parts ( shocks you can get new), and won't break the bank!

Ok but the thing is is that i already have a 2" lift on it already
this is the cherokee i have
It has a 2" rancho lift
l_1e12421a60ef4ab08ac80763eadb5cf9.jpg

l_45c4a59998754101838b3f48c12ec3e5.jpg

l_50523ed3850b48f58b38396908299e05.jpg

Last edited:
but yeah that is a pretty good way on doing it that way. now what i was going to do in the first place is put f-150 coils in the front and then put chevy leaf springs in the back but all of my cousins and parents said to just wait and get a lift that's reliable and designed to these kinds of things

Yeah... the F-150 coils will work, but it gives a VERY stiff/harsh ride... if you drive it every day, prolly not the best way to go... mine rides real nice... and tows great too...

Jesse, I got your PM.

I really think you should re-sell the parts you bought. or possibly keep them in storage for now, The setup you are running now is PERFECT for learning the ropes.

If anything i see a few area's you can improve on the next time you go wheeling.

A: take our your rear sway bar (every single one of us has done this already)
B: Buy a set of Disconnects for the front swaybar (www.roughcountry.com $50)
(there once was a time where i had no idea about these two steps.. I gotta give credit to Keith "mopar44" for showing me on the trail along time ago)

With the rear gone, and the front disconnected, you will shove those tires all the way up into the fender while your suspension articulates. It's not always about Lift height, its about how the suspension operates. And with Swaybars. your not using what you have to its full potential

Looks like the tires you have are 30x9.50s BFG A/Ts. thats a good tire to learn with..

I'd stick to what you have right now, and Just take a step back and absorb some information. You have alot to learn. but you'd be amazed at how quickly you go from NoOb to being just as knowledgable as the rest of the people here!

a 2-3" lift and 30-31" tire is more then enough to keep up. after you get a few pointers out on the trail, i think you should look into a locker and Sliders before you go higher with bigger tires.

We have a Huge trip coming up in June for Naxja Members Called NWfest. Read up on it and see if you can attend!

Nice looking rig... do a set of swaybar discos on the front, ditch the rear sway bar in the trash, and it should flex real nice! Do an Aussie locker in the front, and yer in! I used the S-10 rear Add-A-Leaf, 1 inch heavy duty greasable rear shackles, V-8 Grand Up Country coils/2"poly spacer in the front, the shocks mentioned in the Rock Lizard update, and the other stuff I mentioned... rides great, flexes real well, no rubs, no vibes... total lift on mine is around 4 in back, 3 3/4 in front... works for me! And I do most of the trails at TSF; with a front locker and a good set of MT's, I'll be good for awaile... the double-black trails will have to wait ... but I'm more than stoked about what the XJ can do... just need to bumber/rock slider it now...

Jesse, I got your PM.

I really think you should re-sell the parts you bought. or possibly keep them in storage for now, The setup you are running now is PERFECT for learning the ropes.

If anything i see a few area's you can improve on the next time you go wheeling.

(there once was a time where i had no idea about these two steps.. I gotta give credit to Keith "mopar44" for showing me on the trail along time ago)

With the rear gone, and the front disconnected, you will shove those tires all the way up into the fender while your suspension articulates. It's not always about Lift height, its about how the suspension operates. And with Swaybars. your not using what you have to its full potential

Looks like the tires you have are 30x9.50s BFG A/Ts. thats a good tire to learn with..

I'd stick to what you have right now, and Just take a step back and absorb some information. You have alot to learn. but you'd be amazed at how quickly you go from NoOb to being just as knowledgable as the rest of the people here!

a 2-3" lift and 30-31" tire is more then enough to keep up. after you get a few pointers out on the trail, i think you should look into a locker and Sliders before you go higher with bigger tires.

We have a Huge trip coming up in June for Naxja Members Called NWfest. Read up on it and see if you can attend!

ok i'll give it a thought

Nice looking rig... do a set of swaybar discos on the front, ditch the rear sway bar in the trash, and it should flex real nice! Do an Aussie locker in the front, and yer in! I used the S-10 rear Add-A-Leaf, 1 inch heavy duty greasable rear shackles, V-8 Grand Up Country coils/2"poly spacer in the front, the shocks mentioned in the Rock Lizard update, and the other stuff I mentioned... rides great, flexes real well, no rubs, no vibes... total lift on mine is around 4 in back, 3 3/4 in front... works for me! And I do most of the trails at TSF; with a front locker and a good set of MT's, I'll be good for awaile... the double-black trails will have to wait ... but I'm more than stoked about what the XJ can do... just need to bumber/rock slider it now...

and how much is it to do all of that?

Jesse, I got your PM.

Out of my head, Scott! lol Same exact thing I suggested... what is it they say? Great minds stink alike... something like that!:greensmok

Jesse, I got your PM.

Well stated!! When I and Im sure everyone here first started they had little to no knowledge. But the best way to learn is to just jump in and do it. As stated above I to would stick with what you have right now and just learn the basics of what your rig can do and figure out exactly the way you would like to take your jeep.

We are all here to help. So ask away if/when you do have questions! NAXJA:thumbup:

The shackles and poly spacers came on the Jeep, but I bet you could do all of it, with new shocks ( like the Monroes listed in Rock Lizard) for less than 200 frogskins... I have about 75 bucks in mine, due to the fact that I scoured the boneyards for low-mile wrecks... got four shocks for 25 bucks, S-10 springs and V-8 Grand coils for 30... then just nuts/bolts... used my rear swaybar brackets for free rear BPE... made extended front swaybar links... takes 2 mins to remove 'em before hitting trails... I do it while I'm airing down... (another thing to learn about!)

Back