• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How did you start wheeling??

wheelinscott

NAXJA Forum User
i just was curious as i was driving today of ya'lls stories of how you got into wheeling.

Me?

Well just before i started driving my brother had an old 80's ford ranger and he restored it and did some small mods to it. i went hill climbing and stuff with him a few times. well i got a hold of some of his four wheeler mags and started reading them. then i turned 16 and got a 77 K5 blazer and started to go out in the woods and some years later now i eat sleep and jeep. :guitar:

My older brother wheeled (or at least attempted to) a 94 F150. One day he had set up a sort of mud bog behind our horse barn and a bunch of his buds drove their rigs thru it. I was hooked since then. Being one the younger members on this site, my first rig was a 2000xj. Been wheeling it ever since.

I went wheeling on fort hood with a friedn back when it was legal in his bonze stock z-71. Had a good time. Few years later I grew up bought an 01 Xterra wheeled it, had to get rid of it and then did the racing thing. Then I bought an 05 Xterra wife stole it and told me to buy a Jeep. So I did.

As soon as I learned the true meaning of "Do It in the Dirt", I was hooked. Started with Baja Bugs, then JEEPs. Never really got into dirt bike, mainly because if you make a mistake you fall down, in a jeep you just get stuck or break something, rarely yourself.

I went with my friend in a CJ7 on a Jeepers Jamboree back in '03, and within a month I had a full size Bronco with a 3" lift and was out wheelin' with him on a regular basis. The Bronco's gas mileage and size on the trails was prohibitive though. Since I got my 90 XJ the wheelin' experience is 100 times more fun.

At age 15 I joined a Sea Scouting unit after working at a scout camp for the summer. All the guys in it drove 4x4's... including a leader who was particularly into fullsize Jeeps. During the winter when the seas were no bueno for boating, this unit filled their activity schedule with off-road trips to the Mojave desert.

Did my first wheeling trip to Ballarat, Ca in Panamint Valley in February 2000. I was hooked but the parents wouldn't let me get a 4x4. I forgot about it for a few years, got into go-fast stuff.

Then I got invited to Glamis by a friend of mine for a weekend in 2006, and spent most of the weekend cruising around his CJ7. By the end of that weekend I owned a fullsize Jeep that barely ran. Sold that later that year and bought my XJ.

Back in January I got back to Ballarat and did a trip in my own Jeep. I'm still active with the scout unit and drive the kids on those 4x4 trips.

Was never into wheelin that much in HS, but once I got into the military it was a different story. Started wheelin the units HUMVEE, which was fun but you can only do so much before you get yelled at.

In 2004 the wife and I were getting ready to move to CO, I wanted to get something with 4wheel drive. She was looking at an Explorer, I was looking at a '99 XJ Sport.

Well she doesn't know much about cars, so I got what I wanted and now she is driving a '08 WK.

I slid off of my path (path- a dirt road leading to a house in North Carolina) into a ditch... I had a soft cast on my leg for a severe srain. Longer story short, I bought a Cherokee; one thing leads to another... mud, trails, hill climbs, Uwharrie, Tellico... fun wah!

I slid off of my path (path- a dirt road leading to a house in North Carolina) into a ditch... I had a soft cast on my leg for a severe srain. Longer story short, I bought a Cherokee; one thing leads to another... mud, trails, hill climbs, Uwharrie, Tellico... fun wah!

And Naxja !!

Grandparents got a Saturn to replace their XJ. Dad picked up XJ, used it for his daily driver for a year then got a BMW. Mom used XJ to deliver cookies for a year or two then got a fuel efficient delivery vehicle. I get drivers license then get XJ soon after. Month or two goes by and I discover NAXJA. It then began.

My uncle wheeled with the dinosaurs. When my cousin turned 15 he built a dune buggy over the summer that I helped with a bit. At the end of the summer we took it up to Silver Lake Sand Dunes I fell in love. From that moment 4x4 became a requirement for my first vehicle so at the very least I could get out on the dunes again. Unfortunately my grandma stuck me with her 89 plymouth acclaim. On the plus side it gave me time to find a Jeep, less than a year later I got my XJ and been wheelin ever since.

My mom wheeled an 1988 s10 blazer on dirt roads when I was younger maybe 3 or 5. I got into quads and junk around 15 my friend got his drivers license and his parents WJ to drive. We wheeled and learned about wheeling with this (beat the balls and front end). He soon bought a 96 XJ I bought a 90 XJ and it's been XJ's ever since.

I was 8 or 9 years old (mid seventies) and had already learned how to drive dads 69 Commando around the hay fields. One day while working in the garden (which was located across a creek from the house) dad asked me to take some crates of potatoes to the cellar. I had to cross the creek so I locked the hubs, pulled the T-case lever and dropped the turbo 400 into "D" and went for it! Man I will never forget the feeling of roostering mud all over the place! The Duantless V-6 was screaming! I made it through and was hooked. Of course Dad scolded me for giving it too much gas and made me wash it off.

I saved my money and bought a 41 Chevy "ton and a half" 4x4 military truck for $600 at age 12 and got her running and played with that tank for years, wish I had it back. Those were the "Good ole days" LOL!

..... I robbed a couple 7-11's and needed a quick get away so I jacked some punks 99 XJ and took off through the woods...

Well I grew up on a working farm :laugh3:

One year we got an early snow and I couldn't get to my hunting spots and my dog and I went nuts. So I bought an XJ in hopes that I wouldn't get snowed out again, well I started having more fun getting to my hunting spots then I did once I got there. Plus I hate anything stock, one day I came out into the parking lot and went to the wrong jeep I looked around and counted 13 xj's three the exact color as mine. SO after a short search I found this forum and well now I don't have any problem finding my xj in the parking lot.

Well it all started when i was young and my cousin was driving my grandpa's Silverado back in a field. Well the owner didn't realize we were back there and locked the gate. I am assuming we weren't supposed to be back there because my cousin had to bust through the gate! I have been around Jeeps since i was young. My mom used to work at a Barber shop and the owner had a CJ that we used to ride around in! He ended up fully restoring it and sold it for something stupid like 5 grand! So when i finally got a job where i could afford one i bought my '97. now i have a 2 dr. sitting waiting for me to pick up. In high school i was into the sport compact scene for a while. Then toward the end of high school my buddies started buying them and wheeling at a buddies property. You could say i caught the bug! :D as soon as i get this other Jeep there will be 7-8 Jeeps in the family on my mom's side and 2 on my dad's side!

Back