• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How did you get your TRXus MTs to balance?

ZachMan said:
Umm sorry I ment my rears were 32" and front 32.6" and yeah in 10k miles nothing bad happened.

I don't spout rubbish, I seriously doubt you know more about XJs than I do.

Thats a difference of about half an inch. not even close to the 1.6" you first said. The closer to the same size the less likely a problem. Suffice it to say tars should be the same diameter.

AND this is also assuming we are both talking NP231 t-cases......if we start talking np249 from a ZJ or another full time case, these have a viscus cupling and are MEANT to drive on dry hard surfaces. these likley would not have nearly the problems with different sized tars. But you knew that too.....

OH Yeah, About my not possibly knowing more about XJ's than you........your probably right. I obviously dont know squat....... But I WAS driving a Jeep when you where BORN!

CW

cwlongshot said:
Thats a difference of about half an inch. not even close to the 1.6" you first said. The closer to the same size the less likely a problem. Suffice it to say tars should be the same diameter.

AND this is also assuming we are both talking NP231 t-cases......if we start talking np249 from a ZJ or another full time case, these have a viscus cupling and are MEANT to drive on dry hard surfaces. these likley would not have nearly the problems with different sized tars. But you knew that too.....

OH Yeah, About my not possibly knowing more about XJ's than you........your probably right. I obviously dont know squat....... But I WAS driving a Jeep when you where BORN!

CW

You make little since man.

The t-case doesn't matter at all in this situation.

Why would anyone drive on a dry surface in 4hi? You obviously arn't talking about offroad since the t-case wouldn't matter when in true 4wd nor would it matter in 2wd. You keep acting like something bad will happen and it won't, but then you keep talking about it being in 4wd because you mention fulltime 4wd. Yes I do have a np242, but no it doesn't get shifted into fulltime, yes it stays in 2wd just like any other case and no nothing bad happens in 4hi or lo.

I don't care what you were driving in 1982, it wasn't an XJ and if you notice this site kinda is an XJ/MJ only type site. Might need new glasses old timer.

Last edited:
Of course nothing will happen with different sized tars if its 2WD.......Its so obvoius I didnt mention it.

I mention driving on dry hard surfaces because it causes BINDING in the drive line...THE SAME kind of binding you will get if you try to run different sized tars on the same vehicle IN 4WD. On or off road makes no difference, it will just show up faster on high traction surfaces. If you where as smart as you claim to be, you'd know that.
How do you feel about different gear ratios in the same vehicle? Its the same difference!! Would you recomend that?

The fact still remains, tars on a 4WD vehicle driven in 4WD need to be the same size. (or at the very least, very close.)

Old timer, huh...I aint THAT old!!! ;)

This is not our thread...the poor guy just wanted some advice on ballancing his TreXus tars!!

BACK ON TOPIC:

I have CENTRAMATICS on my TJ and LOVE them. I run Airsoft in my MJ and they work very well. I have friends that swear by equil. Take your choice.

If you have a good air source I would say airsoft will be your cheapest option.

Good luck,
CW

Last edited:
cwlongshot said:
Of course nothing will happen with different sized tars if its 2WD.......Its so obvoius I didnt mention it.

I mention driving on dry hard surfaces because it causes BINDING in the drive line...THE SAME kind of binding you will get if you try to run different sized tars on the same vehicle IN 4WD. On or off road makes no difference, it will just show up faster on high traction surfaces. If you where as smart as you claim to be, you'd know that.
How do you feel about different gear ratios in the same vehicle? Its the same difference!! Would you recomend that?

The fact still remains, tars on a 4WD vehicle driven in 4WD need to be the same size. (or at the very least, very close.)

Old timer, huh...I aint THAT old!!! ;)

This is not our thread...the poor guy just wanted some advice on ballancing his TreXus tars!!

BACK ON TOPIC:

I have CENTRAMATICS on my TJ and LOVE them. I run Airsoft in my MJ and they work very well. I have friends that swear by equil. Take your choice.

If you have a good air source I would say airsoft will be your cheapest option.

Good luck,
CW

there is an "i" in the word tires....

skipo said:
Man why did I waste the money on a sye, if I had only known that a vibration from the time I left the school zone and the entire time I was on the highway till the time I pulled in the freaking driveway was acceptable, I would have saved the money, oh well I guess I should have bought a volkswagon!

an sye is installed because the vibes are physically dangerous to the transfer case, not because were running 35" tires on our mall crawler

skipo said:
your calling me a firestone tech at $8.00 an hour,all I can tell you is stick to your volkswagon tech pal, If you read your reply you just admitted to what my reply said.....noticeable vibration at a certain speed! and just so you know I have been in business for myself almost as long as you have been alive! Doing tires wheels parts lift kits and restoration work. you should ask who you are thrashing before you do it, oh yeah I forgot your just a kid with your first jeep and you know everything because you work on volkswagons, sorry I forgot! oh and by the way doesn't death wobble usually occur at a certain speed? or have you not been wheeling 4 link vehicles long enough to know that?:moon: hello a vibration for a 60mph range! Oh I forgot, thats acceptable in your world in your daily driver

yes, a slight vibration....not, "oh no, my 35's are making my mall crawler have death wobble.....wahhh!!!!" fix the ACTUAL problem thats causing the death wobble, deal w/ the tire vibe, and wheel the piece of shit

scorpio_vette said:
why do you have to be able to break the bead yourself to use the walmart beads. i just weight them, put them in seperate zip lock bags, and told the guy at the shop to throw the contents of each bag in one of the tires. no problems since.

and see....the "local guy" still got to do some work.

yes if you are going to mount the tires then that works. But if the tires are already mounted.........you need to break teh bead.

CartsXJ said:
yes if you are going to mount the tires then that works. But if the tires are already mounted.........you need to break teh bead.

you can break the bead on a tire w/ a high lift, just put it on the tire, near the rim and jack it up on another vehicle. seating can be done w/ a ratchet strap, but ive never had to do anything but put air in it to make it seat

muduck18 said:
Holy hell where did this thread go?

Zach, you are selling your tires? where? how much?

Probably, local guy wants them $450 for 5. I might run two different tires, like some KMs up front. I am telling you they are out of round, you can even hear it.

And thanks for all the folks PMing telling me their TRXus don't balance worth crap either, lol where were you when I was looking, lol? J/K after the original owner said they have a wobble I knew something was up, a Jeep doesn't drive like a Caddy and then as soon as it gets new tires wobbles all over and it not be the tires.

Anyways I have not yet had DW, just bad wobble and I am sure all will agree on a lifted Jeep a heavy out of round or bad tires can cause some wobble.

Jeepsterboy101 said:
My 35" Truxus balance fine. :thumbup:

Yeah again its a crap shoot. Again these are obviously bad tires the original owner never mentioned anything bad about them till after I bought them. He had the same wobble at the same speed on a TJ .

doesn't sound like the case of your tires, but for future reference, make sure the balancing machine is calibrated properly by the shop. even on 14" tires that are commen to cars, i noticed a big differance in how they balanced after calibrating the machine at work.

ZachMan said:
Probably, local guy wants them $450 for 5. I might run two different tires, like some KMs up front. I am telling you they are out of round, you can even hear it.

Hey man,
Glad you where able to figure out what the deal was with your tars. This kind of stuff is a big PIA to diagnose!! Its not the imeadiate answer most people even think of, but as you have found it happens!!

They would likely be fine and work well for someone who trailers to and from the trail......

CW

I was reading in the new petersons I believe and they have these newer style wheel weights that are similar to the stick on but they have the pellets inside the help with the changing tires. I think the company was IMI or something like that, but I have no idea the price or who sells them. The issue says tall tire tech on the front if anyone is interested

Got my 35" MT/Rs on and they ride perfect no issues at all.

One question, I have 4.56s anf still running the 39 tooth speedo gear, so what speed am I actually running at say 45 mph according to my speedometer? Is it reading slow or fast?

Borrow a buddy's GPS and check it out....the "calculators" that are around can be highly inaccurate due to the ACTUAL circumference of your "35's".

Or...beginning with the original tire size and gear ratio, you can express the difference between original and what you have now in the form of a percentage of change.

As an example... my heep had 215/75 with 3.73 gears and a 1:1 high gear in the tranny...the new 4.88 gears and 12.5/33 have an effective difference of less than 3% as far as the speedo goes...

ZachMan said:
Got my 35" MT/Rs on and they ride perfect no issues at all.

One question, I have 4.56s anf still running the 39 tooth speedo gear, so what speed am I actually running at say 45 mph according to my speedometer? Is it reading slow or fast?
Dude, what happend to the MTZ's? What did they hit you for, for 35" MTR'S? Did you notice much of a difference in gearing from your 33's?? Hey, you planning on making the Fall for All in October??

Back