• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How can they claim that Islam is a peaceful religion?

The religion maybe yes, the people who interperate that religion a certain way probobly not.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel told reporters that she received assurances from Afghan President Hamid Karzai in a telephone call that Rahman would not be sentenced to death.
Good enough for me. :)

you mean like the religious right condemning abortion doctors, and yes, they are trying to push the death penalty because their "religion" says so. Or maybe like Sacco and Vanzetti, or the Rosenburghs, or maybe like the bombing of black churches in the south (by aryan christians, not the gov.) Of course the rosenburgs and sacco and vanzetti were killed for their political affiliation, not necessarily religion.

JnJ said:
So when is the last time we (USA) put someone on trial with a possible death sentence for changing their religion?

In the 1700's it was a common practice to see if a witch would float with a brick around her or could breath under water strapped to a chair, losing propositon, successfully surviving just confirmed your 'witchness' at which point you got burned at the stake...
It's been a while but up untill the late 1800's it was common practice to hunt down mormons and either hang or shoot them out of hand, no trial either...
In the early 20th century is was common practice for cathlolic church to ex-communicate people for various things and alot of those people commited suicide over the event.
Hmm, what was your question again...

This is exactly the reason the US was founded on the prinicpal of no State sponsored religion.

In my opionion, the Arab States which still use Muslim rule of law are just as unjust and corrupt as those which were based on either the Roman Catholic or other State sponsored Church Governments in Europe.

That being said, it is what they are used to. Everybody knows the laws, and knows the consequences of breaking those laws. Regardless of what we think is right or wrong, it is their law.

The folks in the Arab world appear to be at a breaking point. They want all the conveniences that come with the modern world, yet, are unwilling to give up their traditions in return for a place on the world stage.

IMO, Fine then. Let's find another source of energy, pull out of the middle east, and let the small minded people of that area sit in their own stew.
Why should we waste our young folks on people who don't appreciate the effort anyway?
When we all pull out and leave them without a source of income, they will then realize the opportunity they missed.

Last edited:
Just an oppinion, but the fundamentalist Islamic movement, is growing. They don't want a piece of the pie, they want it all. World domination, with a few dozen Mullahs, that are living in the last century or nearer the century before last, running the show. The Iranian revoltution, seemed to be the spark for much of the rapid expansion. The fundamentalsts are using surrogates and encouraging urban unrest, throughout the world.
Just to cross threads a bit (How to spot a conservative child), common Liberal thinking is that we can come to an accomodation. Traditional conservative thinking is to confront them, isolate them and give it every chance to wither on the vine (worked with communism). Actually through many Democratic and Republican administrations, the policy of containment held true.
Kosovo seemed to be an effort to ingratiate the US with many muslim countries. Doesn't seem to have worked well and doesn't seem to have bought any lasting friends.
*Look at a map*, Iran is surrounded by US troops, everything is in place for a blockade. A word of advice, curb the tactical thinking, don't listen to what is being said by the media or the governement, read between the lines. Often what is not said, is much more important than what is being said. Think stratigicaly and watch what is being *done*, not what is being said.
Even Germany is giving up on the accomodation doctrine. There armed forces are re organizing, into expeditionary forces. France is getting chummy with Nato, after ignoring them for thirty years. Forces are in motion.
WMD or the lack of the same, the lack of progress in Iraq and other topics of the day, just may be irrelevant.
Is it possible Iraq is just one part of a much larger puzzle?
I have no boubt the Democrates, will make all sorts of noise about pulling out of Iraq and troop reductions. I'll believe it when I see it.
Getting back on topic, my local preacher walked up to me the other day and said you really should cut your beard. I said, as far as I can make out, Jesus had a beard. He looks at me and smiles and says, but you aren't Jesus. I said I'm not a woman either, when my breast grow, I'll shave. Intolerance is social and religious, I think it is all part of the human herd instinct.

WVXJ said:
you mean like the religious right condemning abortion doctors, and yes, they are trying to push the death penalty because their "religion" says so. Or maybe like Sacco and Vanzetti, or the Rosenburghs, or maybe like the bombing of black churches in the south (by aryan christians, not the gov.) Of course the rosenburgs and sacco and vanzetti were killed for their political affiliation, not necessarily religion.
Yes we have crazys too. But the point you fail to understand is that this man is going to court ran by a goverment that he could get sentenced to death for changing his religion.
This isn't some extremest individual or group doing this, this is a government.

RichP said:
In the 1700's it was a common practice to see if a witch would float with a brick around her or could breath under water strapped to a chair, losing propositon, successfully surviving just confirmed your 'witchness' at which point you got burned at the stake...
It's been a while but up untill the late 1800's it was common practice to hunt down mormons and either hang or shoot them out of hand, no trial either...
In the early 20th century is was common practice for cathlolic church to ex-communicate people for various things and alot of those people commited suicide over the event.
1700s uh ok...........and that is relavent now, how? We may have been munkeys throwing poop at each other 1000s of years ago. That has no relavence now.....

Zuki-Ron said:
This is exactly the reason the US was founded on the prinicpal of no State sponsored religion.

In my opionion, the Arab States which still use Muslim rule of law are just as unjust and corrupt as those which were based on either the Roman Catholic or other State sponsored Church Governments in Europe.

That being said, it is what they are used to. Everybody knows the laws, and knows the consequences of breaking those laws. Regardless of what we think is right or wrong, it is their law.

The folks in the Arab world appear to be at a breaking point. They want all the conveniences that come with the modern world, yet, are unwilling to give up their traditions in return for a place on the world stage.

IMO, Fine then. Let's find another source of energy, pull out of the middle east, and let the small minded people of that area sit in their own stew.
Why should we waste our young folks on people who don't appreciate the effort anyway?
When we all pull out and leave them without a source of income, they will then realize the opportunity they missed.
x2 on most of that.

8Mud said:
Just an oppinion, but the fundamentalist Islamic movement, is growing. They don't want a piece of the pie, they want it all. World domination, with a few dozen Mullahs, that are living in the last century or nearer the century before last, running the show. The Iranian revoltution, seemed to be the spark for much of the rapid expansion. The fundamentalsts are using surrogates and encouraging urban unrest, throughout the world.
Just to cross threads a bit (How to spot a conservative child), common Liberal thinking is that we can come to an accomodation. Traditional conservative thinking is to confront them, isolate them and give it every chance to wither on the vine (worked with communism). Actually through many Democratic and Republican administrations, the policy of containment held true.
Kosovo seemed to be an effort to ingratiate the US with many muslim countries. Doesn't seem to have worked well and doesn't seem to have bought any lasting friends.
*Look at a map*, Iran is surrounded by US troops, everything is in place for a blockade. A word of advice, curb the tactical thinking, don't listen to what is being said by the media or the governement, read between the lines. Often what is not said, is much more important than what is being said. Think stratigicaly and watch what is being *done*, not what is being said.
Even Germany is giving up on the accomodation doctrine. There armed forces are re organizing, into expeditionary forces. France is getting chummy with Nato, after ignoring them for thirty years. Forces are in motion.
WMD or the lack of the same, the lack of progress in Iraq and other topics of the day, just may be irrelevant.
Is it possible Iraq is just one part of a much larger puzzle?
I have no boubt the Democrates, will make all sorts of noise about pulling out of Iraq and troop reductions. I'll believe it when I see it.
Getting back on topic, my local preacher walked up to me the other day and said you really should cut your beard. I said, as far as I can make out, Jesus had a beard. He looks at me and smiles and says, but you aren't Jesus. I said I'm not a woman either, when my breast grow, I'll shave. Intolerance is social and religious, I think it is all part of the human herd instinct.
Very good points, I must concur.

RichP said:

The salem witch trials were held in the 1600s i believe, unless you are thinking of another time/place

TRNDRVR said:
Thank God I'm an atheist!

looking quite appealing right now

TRNDRVR said:
Thank God I'm an atheist!

Liar...you worship at the alter of AMTRACK.

This post brought to you by...

JWXJARock.jpg

Back