• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how can I secure something big and flat to my roof?

philip_g

NAXJA Forum User
I'm picking something up tomorrow that's 2' wide by 10' long and need to tie it to the factory roof bars, it's under the weight limit, but any suggestions on how I can secure it safely? Ratchet straps around the bars, around the cargo and then around the other side I suppose? I have no idea :eyes:
I don't want it to blow off and kill some poor bastard on I25. Kind of a dumb question I guess but I'm at a loss.

Under the bars, over the cargo. Crossbars at full front and rear to spread the load. Is it a rigid load, or one that's going to flap around? Might want to throw a loop around the front and down to the bumper.

Keep an eye on your load!

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Is it something weak and flexible like aluminum siding?
If so, the wind will catch it and bend it in the middle where the roof rack is.
You may have to buy two ten foot long 2x4's to stiffin it up.

Under the bars, over the cargo. Crossbars at full front and rear to spread the load. Is it a rigid load, or one that's going to flap around? Might want to throw a loop around the front and down to the bumper.

Keep an eye on your load!

Jim www.yuccaman.com

it's ridgid (I think) it's a porta boat that folds flat.

I'm worried about it getting blown backwards more than anything, that shit would not be good coming through your windshield

it's 10' long so it won't fit inside unfortunately

Dennis' idea has merit - an eight or ten foot long 2x4 would help make an excellent base. Lash that down to the roofrails and then go pick up the boat. Tie the boat to the 2x4 and the rails, and away you go...

Jim www.yuccaman.com

No sweat. Wrapped a ratchet around one side, all the way around the boat and hooked to the eyelet on the other side of the rack, nice and solid and made the trip down from broomfield with no problems, don't know why I was so worried about it.

Now, where should I take it out fishing? Has to allow gasoline motors.

Last edited:
Better safe than sorry tho. Dunno about fishing spots. I'd avoid Cherry Creek, Chatfield, and Horse Tooth in that thing, at least on the weekends. You don't wan't to be out there w/a bunch of wakeboats.

Better safe than sorry tho. Dunno about fishing spots. I'd avoid Cherry Creek, Chatfield, and Horse Tooth in that thing, at least on the weekends. You don't wan't to be out there w/a bunch of wakeboats.

it'll be fine, these things are stable as hell. but I want something a bit more scenic anyway.
I'd go to aurora but they don't allow gas and the scenery sucks, wish I had an electric motor.

Last edited:
nice day, had 4 or 5 nice solid strikes but I think I was trolling too fast for them to get a good hook. Need to get a trolling sock thing or adjust the idle down a little.
guess I'm one o dem fishless turds :bawl:

Last edited:
Back