• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How bad is this idea: Mount winch control to engine?

:greensmok

Thank you for the link.

It looks like that switch is good for 300 amps continuous.

From what I can gather, for the XD9000 I should be looking for a 500 amp rating if I want to run a switch for the winch.

For the time being I am probably going to stick with my simple solution of an unconnected cable for the winch. That takes care of all the problems of kids being kids or any kind of short. Some day down the line I may come up with a switch for it.

Yep.

That is the ticket.

But I need to watch my pennies for a while. Too much Jeep project + Christmas + a potential huge stretch in real estate all at once means I should delay what I can for the time being.

Having nearly burned a car down due to an un-fused wiring addition I have become a bit more cautious about my electrical additions. My current M.O. is to simply leave the cable for the winch unconnected. It doesn't take long to remove the nut from the positive battery cable, add in the lug and then tighten it back down. But a switch would be more graceful.

OTOH, a quick search suggests that 500 amp 12VDC fuses might not be so hard to come by anymore. It appears the solar industry has an application for them. Probably not going to find one at Vatozone, but they might still recognize me at CED Greentech (local solar supply house). I will have to look into this option a bit more. It would be nice to get my hands on one of these so I can figure out just how massive it is. I suspect if these are 5/16" studs this thing is practically half the size of the relay/control box.

21-ayr2PSaL.jpg

Back