• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hoses

I had to remove my a/c fan to get at things, check the waterpump pee hole for signs of coolant. When my w/pump went it looked like tha rad hose was leaking near the clamp on the w/pump.

nekocopter said:
Loosen 2 hose clamps, remove old hose... Replace with new hose, tighten 2 hose clamps... You're done!

just replaced my upper hose and it was just that simple... I only imagine that the lower hose would be the same.

Actually, the lower hose is a little bit of a bitch, because you can never really get a good angle to tighten the hose clamp. No big deal though, just a little bit of a bitch.

Just a side note that no one has mentioned yet....you may want to add coolant after loosing almost all of it out of the giant hole you make in the water pump when you remove the hose. Just some brain food for you to think about.
-Collin

bcmaxx said:
I had to remove my a/c fan to get at things, check the waterpump pee hole for signs of coolant. When my w/pump went it looked like tha rad hose was leaking near the clamp on the w/pump.

I wish my Jeep came with an AC fan.

there's another potential pain. the hose might be glued to the water pump, Split the hose with a fresh razor so you don't need much force and avoid nicking anything around it.

(the hoses usually don't "rust weld" as often on the thermostat housing, or radiator.)

If it is the original hose it will have spring clamps on it, it's a PIA but a set of channel locks will get it off. Pickup some screw clamps to replace them with.
Dealer supplied OEM hoses will have the spring as well as a new outside liner on the lower hose. The Dealer supplied OEM upper hose will come with the plastic sleeve that keeps it from wearing thru on the A/C compressor.
The Dealer supplied OEM heater hoses will have spring clamps already installed and ready for use, they will also have the correct bends and fit the old clips that keep them in place.
When removing the heater hoses back the clamps off, use a razor kinife to slit them lengthwise and peel them off.
It is a good idea to replace ALL the hoses at one time instead of piecemeal.

Well, it turn out that it was not a hose that was leaking, rather i have a leak in my radiator along the side where the "pinch gasket" is? So my new question is, What does a radiator cost and what is involved in switching one out.

my 3 core was$225CND, Tooka coupla hours, and no don't take the grille off as I started to, remove fans,upper rad bracket,hoses, I took my fan and clutch off so I didn't bugger up the new rad, make sure you have those stupid quick coupler diconnect tools if equipt with and auto trans,Once out you have to swap over a sensor or two,and re-install.I don't remember anything tricky about the job.

Radiator is easy, remove hoses, remove electric fan, unbolt fan shroud and move it back towards the engine, unbolt the piece across the top of the rad, remove and install the new one, reverse procedure. If the new one does not have the isolators remove the old ones and reuse them. I would still R&R the hoses while you have it apart and flush the heater core. Actually before you remove the old stuff, drain the system, refill with water and 7 hour prestone flush and follow instructions. Then do the change, use DISTILLED water when making up your 50/50 mix. Use power blaster on the bolts for the cross member and then use anti-seize on the bolts when you put them back.

Back