• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

horns keep dying from mud

995speed

NAXJA Forum User
99 xj 4.0 ax15

Hey guys, not sure if this is tech or not but my XJ's horns keep dying from the mud that i encounter from off-roading or if i drive in the rain alot. I am on my 4th set of horns and i am thinking about relocating the horns. I cannot do any sort of air horn upgrade or anything but i was wondering what are some spots you guys have put your stock horns in to avoid this problem?

I had the same issue, but it started after I totaled my stock xj before I rebuilt it. Eventually got a nice loud horn and wired it up with a relay and mounted it above the fender well below the master cyl. It's lasted since I put it in about 6 months ago with no drop in its loudness.

the desert racers wrap their horns with panty-hose material to keep them from filling up with dust and failing, I bet it would help keep yours from getting packed with mud. would at least be worth a shot.

So how is your alternator holding up. The same thing that kills a horn will kill an alternator.

the desert racers wrap their horns with panty-hose material to keep them from filling up with dust and failing, I bet it would help keep yours from getting packed with mud. would at least be worth a shot.

hehe Grimm thanks to you I might need to buy a pair of pantyhose for my XJ, but I can promise my wife will be the one to buy that $hit hehe :looney:

Back