• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Horn likes to go off random

seg501

NAXJA Forum User
I was just hanging out in my house and started to here someone blasing their horn at random. It started pissing me off so I went outside walked around for a few minutes and found out it's my Jeep! I used my keyless remote to unlock my jeep and then when I hit lock the horn went balistic. I turned the jeep on and then turned it off and the horn hasn't gone off since. Should I check for lose wires or unplug the fuse/check it?

You should check for your friends playing a trick on you. I did that to MoparManiac on his old Jeep. I jumpered a wire from his electric fan to his horn. Unfortunately his horn was broken, so he found out I did it one day in traffic that every time he beeped his horn his fan would start. It brings the funny when it works though.

But seriously, it sounds like your alarm system doesn't like what you're doing. My mom's ZJ does that if you unlock it with the key instead of the keyless entry and you have to go around trying to figure which lock to unlock to get the alarm to shut off.

Like the trick lol. No trick with mine, I wish it was that simple. I turned the jeep on then off and it stopped, like you said it has to have something to do with the alarm system.

Sounds like your alarm is angry, I would agree.

Check to make sure none of the door lock sensors have fallen off the door locks. Believe that is why Begster's alarm in his '91 was going off.

This is a 99 limited. I checked the locks and the buttons for the back doors and they seem fine. Where are the sensors for the front doors? Forgot to meantion it could be because my Jeep wants to play in the woods and is mad at me for not driving it enough

Last edited:
Got that problem with my '92, with the added fun quirk that anything you touch that's electric will beep the horn: unlock a door - beep; turn on the stereo - beep; roll down a window - beep; turn on a light - beep ... only way I know to stop it is to disconnect/reconnect the battery. I now carry a 13mm wrench next to the driver seat ... along with the fire extingusher.

LOL I have nothing but issues with my XJ over the past 3 years of being the 2nd owner. At the end of the day it would be very hard for me to get rid of my baby lol.

I have similar problem on my 97 XJ Turbo Diesel,
It has happened several times now -I unlock the Jeep using the key fob and the horn starts, stops if I lock the Jeep!
I have to remove the wire from the horns replace them several days later and everything is ok.
Only happens in very cold/wet weather!! But not that often even in the UK.

I think he has a similar problem on his 97 XJ Turbo Diesel...it's a gut feeling...

I think those were accidental double posts due to the forum being slow during backup period :laugh3: Cleared the dupes up.

Paul, sounds like water is getting into some wiring somewhere. Unfortunately finding exactly where could take quite a while, a DMM and a factory service manual will be your best friends here.

Back