• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hooking up a CB Radio

Yes, $35 is a bit to toss, but it'll cost you much more than that to have it repaired. How cheap do you suppose an electronic tech works for?

Would you really spend $150 to have that cheap radio fixed? Call any tech that works on CBs and ask what their bench fee is (thats the charge just to check the radio out, no repair work yet). Trust me, you'll toss that $35 radio.

Two way radio antennas consist of two parts. The antenna itself and the ground plane it works off of. That ground plane is your vehicle body (provided its metal). The higher the antenna and the more metal around it, the better its going to work. A 3' antenna on your trailer hitch is going work far worse than the same antenna on the your roof.

Mobile antennas are a compromise. How tall an antenna you can live with and where on the vehicle you are willing to mount it. A bumper mount moves the antenna down, out of the way of tree limbs and low flying aircraft but it also seriously compromises the efficiency. On the roof is the best place for efficiency but you start whacking tree limbs.

What can you live with? If your radio is simply for trail rides and the drive to and from, efficiency is not much of a consideration because the folks you are talking to are nearby.

If you enjoy gabbing on the radio with as much range as you can get, then efficiency becomes much more important. You would have a different set of priorities for the antenna system. You likely would be willing to live with the occasional tree limb whack to gain that efficiency.

You can reduce, or more likely, eliminate trail damage to the antenna be using a spring. Mount the spring on the mount and screw the antenna into it. This is generally for the fiberglass antennas as they usually have the 3/8" screw type mount. A base loaded antenna (Wilson 1000 - K40 - etc) will have a tall, thin whip that will easily bend when encountering obstacles.

REMEMBER: if you are going to use a fiberglass antenna on the trail AND it is likely to hit things, you are not done buying stuff until you have that spring also. That spring should be an integral part of any fiberglass antenna installation.

Having said that, I don't have a spring for my fiberglass antenna on my old Mustang. But then, I don't do trails with it. If damage (from hitting stuff) is likely, put that spring on there. Thats what they are for.

Last edited:
Eliminator89 said:
Yes, $35 is a bit to toss, but it'll cost you much more than that to have it repaired. How cheap do you suppose an electronic tech works for?

Would you really spend $150 to have that cheap radio fixed? Call any tech that works on CBs and ask what their bench fee is (thats the charge just to check the radio out, no repair work yet). Trust me, you'll toss that $35 radio.
[end quote]

The point I was trying to make is it can be worked on,if you pay $150 to haveANY cb radio fixed you are crazy in the first place.
I never said anything about sending it to a tweaker(tech)
I do my own work for free.....I know not everyone has the skills,but if they can read,have a soldering gun,and can follow instructions work can be done on the cheap.

I guess it's just the DIY in me.

outlander said:
The point I was trying to make is it can be worked on,if you pay $150 to haveANY cb radio fixed you are crazy in the first place.
I never said anything about sending it to a tweaker(tech)
I do my own work for free.....I know not everyone has the skills,but if they can read,have a soldering gun,and can follow instructions work can be done on the cheap.

I guess it's just the DIY in me.

Ok, gotcha. Misunderstood what you were meaning. Didn't intend any offense.

I do my own radio wrecking also. At least thats what usually happens when I put a soldering iron in my hand. Not knowing what I am doing has never stopped me. :)Learned a lot over the years. Read books, the electronic and radio mags. Used to mess with Cbs and Ham radios a lot but these days I don't open them up as much.

To tell the truth, I think some of you guys might like Ham radio too. How about HUGE numbers of frequencies to talk over (not just 40)? Up to 1500 watts of power, talk around the world, use Ham radio satellites to talk to folks thousands of mile away, bounce your signal off the moon, use local repeaters to talk 60 miles or more from your Jeep, talk to the space station.

I know most folks just use the CB for the trail group or a bit on the highway, but if you like to chat on the radio, Ham is the way to go. And there's no reason to dump the CB if you do get into ham. Check out some of the Ham radios. Amazing equipment.

Last edited:
Never heard of a Police cheif being able to grant FCC licenses.

Yes you do need a license and that means learning some stuff! :O

At least you don't need to learn Morse code anymore.

I have my antenna mounted smack dab in the middle of the roof. It's a 2' Firestick-wannabe from the truck stop. I paid $7 for it. The base is a simple Wilson gumdrop mount. I have a medium duty spring between the two. Here in the Midwest, there's trees all over the place and the antenna does smack em'. So far, the setup has held up great since I put it on @3 years ago. No complaints.

I've got the CB mounted on the passanger side of the center console, closest to the dash. It's one of the small, compact Cobras from Wally World. It's small enough that dosen't get in the way of any passangers too. Sorry, no pics of the CB.

100_2482.jpg

Eliminator89 said:
Whats your SWR at channel 1 and 40? That one should be pretty good.

Pffft. I don't remember. That was a long time ago.

Eliminator89 said:
Never heard of a Police cheif being able to grant FCC licenses.

Yes you do need a license and that means learning some stuff! :O

At least you don't need to learn Morse code anymore.

They can't. Nor can a amateur radio license holder talk on a police or emergency agency frequency unless he/she has authorization to do so by the officials who govern that department. As far as the "no code" thing, there is a single class of license type that does not require knowledge of Morse code but most license classes still do.
Roger (W9ING) :cheers:

Actually, the code requirement has been dropped for all license classes.

Used to be the "Technician" class didn't require knowledge of morse code. The frequency privileges were restricted. But now, code is not required at all.

Eliminator89 said:
Actually, the code requirement has been dropped for all license classes.

Used to be the "Technician" class didn't require knowledge of morse code. The frequency privileges were restricted. But now, code is not required at all.

Dang..... I just checked over at the AARL and you're right!!! I'm pretty out of date!!! :eek:

Back