• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hood vents preparing for spring

buzzbombxj said:
i just got a set of the lebaron vents today, they are filthy, are they dishwasher safe? some plastic melts
Always put plastics on top rack of dishwasher so they done melt. Plastics melting in a dishwasher are due to using the hot option for drying as the element is located on bottom and if thats where the plastic is it melts. So dont use the heat option and put on top rack just to be safe.

Ken (aka a plumber AND a grandpa)

I don't have a great photo of mine. But I got them from a boat dealer, they are some type of engine vents Appx size is 2x12 and if I remember correctly $20 for the pair.
mec3.JPG

Gives an idea of where and what they are like. I'll get some better pics if anybody wants.

DAryl (AKA a plumber and a dad)

I too was worried about rain getting in and as the thought process moved along I came up with this, a single offcenter hoodscoop-like vent that I fabbed out of sheet steel. Why a single offcenter vent you ask? I needed clearance inside for the pusher fan I got from the junkyard! :D I kinda hurried the construction along with the Moab vacation looming, but it's not like the rest of my truck is bling either. ;) The fan was a bit too powerful, so I cut it back by wiring in part of a spare resistor pack (the one that allows different settings for the interior blower). If you're wondering, on the freeway the flow of air (with the fan off) is from inside to outside, so it's not like my scoop is actually "scooping" anything. The fan came in handy even before I got to Moab. Never previously haveing holes in my hood, I didn't realize my engine smelled so much like burning oil (that problem has alsosince been fixed) and the smell would waft in though the dash. When I turned the fan on, the breeze seemed to push the fumes out far enough that they went up and over the truck rather than in the fresh air intake vents. :) In the desert the fan worked great, keeping my hood to a respectable temperature. Ever since I bought the truck (8 years ago as a run-down 2wd), driving on a mere warm but sunny day will cause hood to get so hot you won't want to touch it (engine doesn't overheat at all though). No problems now. :D
Jeep on!
--Pete

103749064.jpg

92686913.jpg

ILLXJ said:
HPIM0184.jpg

I didn't cut through the bracing, but I did drill some drain holes in them. JIM.
Thankyou for taking that. I was wondering how you got around the brace problem as knew it would not be a good idea to cut through it. ;)

Race Ace is the shit as far as vents go , pricey but very nice. I am thinking more along the lines of getting some of those stick on scoops that come in pairs from Lund. Turn them around so they face backwards and cut the opening to make them functional. No rain getting things wet , no steam and hopefully a nice look (haven't photoshopped it yet so I don't actually know if it would look right or not)

Check out e-bay...all types available....kind of partial to 68 Camaro SS ones myself...think they would look nice but would have to deal with the H2O prob.

0313 said:
Really, I thought the ones I bought FROM YOU were aluminum.

Yeah, I even remember sending them out to you, which is why I was confused - if I'd sent out an aluminium set, I probably would've remembered it ;)

Im a dumbass then. I can admit that. They are made of different plastic then. Either way, the magnet wont stick to them.

No biggie - wasn't ragging on ya, just honestly confused :) FWIW, I've had to go over this with the junkyards just about every time I'm there... "Oh, metal vents, those are $12 apiece." "Nope, they're plastic." "But they're heavy, so they've got to be metal." "No, PLASTIC. There's just a lot of it." I had to actually start taking a magnet with me when I'd pull them - the minute they see you taking four or five sets of the same thing, they try to pull everything they can to jack up the price.

GP vents as well... Like Pete's MJ... I've got one powered with a motorcycle radiator fan ($10) from ebay...

Been on for a couple years. no problems with water at all.

vent4.jpg

vent6.jpg

Wouldn't the drivers side be a better place for your vent fan?Seems like it would pull more hot air out because it would be over top of the exhaust manifold.....just a thought.

jeepdeepfreak said:
Wouldn't the drivers side be a better place for your vent fan?Seems like it would pull more hot air out because it would be over top of the exhaust manifold.....just a thought.

Makes sense, but it could be hard to place it - between the slope of the hood and the location of the throttle body, clearance could be an issue.

I want my Lsc said:
JEONLYEP said:
I don't have a great photo of mine. But I got them from a boat dealer, they are some type of engine vents Appx size is 2x12 and if I remember correctly $20 for the pair.
Those are great, do they work well?
Mine are about 2 years old, They'll need replaced this summer or fall. THe heat coming thru warps the plastic. So I guess that means it's venting quite a bit of heat.

DAryl

The LeBaron vents are NOT plastic and they are NOT aluminum. They are fiberglass.

bjoehandley said:
Dumb Question Alert!!! If you're going to cut up a hood, why not just cut out the catch pans stamped into the Lebaron Hood (and all other vent equipped Turbo K cars) and weld them to your Jeep's hood?

If you are going to the trouble to make drip pans like I did, which yes were a big pain to get just right, then you would want them to be removeable. I take mine off for summer trail rides to get the maximum amount of venting possible. The drip pans still allow for air flow but it is more restrictive than without them.

Back