• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hood lift assist?

the one thing that RJR mentions in his kit (which I have BTW) is that the struts they use are made for hi-temp areas like the engine bay where the standard rear hatch struts wouldnt last very long. I dont know if thats BS or not but figured Id bring it up.

My have been in place for 2 years, FWIW.

I did it XJeeper-style tonight and it works perfectly. It took longer to find and order the struts than it did to install them. Seems no one in my area wants to stock that brand and I didn't want to experiment. Eventually the nice folks at AP decided to sell them to me directly (after calling them three times!).

I highly recomend this mod. Great write up and pics XJeeper! Thanks!

I love those. Never used to use em... they're the best thing since sliced bread.

Of course, if the screw head won't fit inside the tube, you're still SOL.

100_4088-1.jpg

I initially installed 45Lb pressure lift struts but they were not strong enough, 60Lb units work well.
If I recall correctly, the brackets and struts cost about $35.

Good Luck!
If you had mounted the one side on the fire wall and the other end farther out on the hood, it would have worked fine with weaker gas cylinders. The way you have it the cylinder has to work alot harder to hold the hood up.

Shopping list for gas spring setup, springs are just a little longer but still should work. Hope this helps, I'll be getting this stuff.
Reid Supply 1-800-253-0421
4 – Brackets GAS-303
4 - Ends GAS-201
2 – Springs GAS-113
Total cost $39.84

forget/skip the douche comments, some people aren't much for thinking before they type.

kudo's for getting this far into the hobby with what you have that does work... as you can see from some people on here a brain isn't required to MOD a jeep, just a mouth, I

Please ignore xcm......someone has convinced him that being an a$$ 24/7 is cool.

Adam, this is the same tool who berated Ghost for the method used to honor a daughter who passed away. With no appology to Glenn, nor to you, he has earned the coveted "Most likely to be left broken on Trail" award.

Let us know how things work out.

Steve

Let us know how things work out.

Steve

Will do Steve!
I did end up buying that little sleeve thing for screws, just haven't used it yet.
But the lift assist came in last Friday from Quadratec, less than a week after I ordered it which is pretty good since it's usually a big delay when anything hits the border.
I'm a bit busy with school right now, so I probably won't have a chance to install the assist for at least another week, but I'll try to remember to take some pics for the kind folks here. ;)

Back