• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

home depot vs local lumber yards

I have a Lowes less than five minutes from the house, and a HD five more. They do have convenient hours, but they still have to be careful about the service. They are good in the same way a Kragen or AutoZone is good, for the flashy accessories, but they lose favor if they have to think or do more than run the label through a price scanner.

I picked up five windows at Lowes yesterday, they were made twice. They ignored the order sheet the first time and built them all the same (all block frame) rather than reading the detail and making five nail-fin and one block frame. Lowes has a problem reading, and HD is worse, even when they are open.

Last week I was in Lowes and asked at the Pro-desk for a price and delivery on two beams, 6"x18"x18' No.1 Doug fir. They guy said, "what?" So, I asked again and made him a cut list.

After five minutes of confusion behind the desk, I stopped him from paging through his book and asked if he was having trouble? He said "I don't know. What ya using the wood for, maybe we can make something else work?"

Why? I asked him if he questions the people buying toilets what they use them for, and offers alternatives? I received a vacant stare (he is probably still pondering the question).

Two days later I had my complete cut list delivered in the driveway, but not from Lowes or HD.

ACE said:
I know what you mean. We have a local ACE Hardware store near my home that I usually go to for small stuff. The closest Home Depot is about 14 miles away.
I guess you have seen what they are building right next to the HUGE Wal-Mart just down the road from us...Yep a new Home Depot. I bet the little True Value is getting scared. I too go there for the small stuff and have found that for certian things they are even better...Nuts and Bolts for instance. You remember when Eagle Hardware was in Layton? Before Lowes took them over? You could buy any metric bolt or nut you wanted...Now they are Lowes...Nope. I knew there was a reason I hated Jimmy Johnson. :puke:

DrMoab said:
ACE said:
I know what you mean. We have a local ACE Hardware store near my home that I usually go to for small stuff. The closest Home Depot is about 14 miles away.
I guess you have seen what they are building right next to the HUGE Wal-Mart just down the road from us...Yep a new Home Depot. I bet the little True Value is getting scared. I too go there for the small stuff and have found that for certian things they are even better...Nuts and Bolts for instance. You remember when Eagle Hardware was in Layton? Before Lowes took them over? You could buy any metric bolt or nut you wanted...Now they are Lowes...Nope. I knew there was a reason I hated Jimmy Johnson. :puke:

I didn't know that Ryan. Where exactly is HD going up? Is it that area you can see off of Main where that Cowboy Clothing Store (or something like that) used to be?
Hey I met a buddy of yours, Tyson E, owns a built up TJ. I live near him.

ACE said:
I didn't know that Ryan. Where exactly is HD going up? Is it that area you can see off of Main where that Cowboy Clothing Store (or something like that) used to be?
Hey I met a buddy of yours, Tyson E, owns a built up TJ. I live near him.
Yeah...drive down main st when you get a chance...the walls are already up. Man I can't believe how fast they build stuff these days... Yeah Tyson's a good friend...You live on that side of the tracks huh? You are just down the road from me.

Good story about Lowes' employees and their service skills. I went to pick up some discs for my angle grinder and some blades for my utility knife. Looked at a band saw and drill press, but that whole money thing is an issue:doh: . Went to the register to check out and this girl is on the phone with her friend, while I'm standing there. I was ready to pay by the time she hung up. Makes ya wanna come back every time when they get paid to chat about what they're gonna do this weekend.

Back