• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hitch differences 84-96 vs 97+ ???

Johann

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking for a hitch for my wifes 98 XJ and am seeing conflicting info on them.

Some places list them as one size fits all, some with the year spans I put in the subject line.

I've got a line on one for a 95 but the yard says it wont fit

What is the real story? Any simple alteration I can handle. I am trying to get one nailed down before the weekend so welding or explosives are out.

Anyone?

I'm pretty sure they are all the same. Reese (sold by Wal-Mart) sells the same hitch for XJs from '84 through 2001. Unibody is the same, so there's no reason for the hitch to be different.

Go for it.... It will fit. I put on a 92 (or 93?) on my 98 :) The hitch will be the same, it's the skids that change due to the change in tanks.

Just make sure to get the nutstrips from the dealer or make your own if you don't have them (if you got the tank skid you have them)...

And the install is really easy

Kejtar

Thanks guys,

I'll go for it now that I am better informed ;D

I've done the install on my 93 so I know what I am in for. Just wanted to be sure before I ended up with a 50# anchor

Tank skid will come later - I dont trust those plastic tanks in a collision. I like my wife and want her around for a long time

Johann

Back