• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hiring - Elk reduction worker

tbburg

NAXJA Forum User
Now this has potential!

http://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/315850200

It's only a temporary position, but if you're not busy this fall,.. twenty bucks an hour seems like pretty good pay to go elk hunting.
This is a full time temporary not-to-exceed 1039 hours elk reduction worker position, duty stationed at Theodore Roosevelt National Park, Medora, North Dakota. The scheduled timeframe for the work to begin and end for this position is October 1, 2012 - December 7, 2012.
DUTIES:

The primary responsibility of this position is to serve as an Elk Reduction Worker during implementation of the Theodore Roosevelt National Parks' maintenance phase of its 2012 elk management plan. As an Elk Reduction Worker, the incumbent will work with other Elk Reduction Workers conducting population surveys and removing elk with firearms in the field during reduction activities. Top candidates for this position will be proficient at all aspects of hunting large game, including interpreting wildlife "sign", pursuing animals on foot, field use of a large-caliber rifle, field processing large game animals, telemetry, map reading and use of GPS units, and care of meat. The incumbent will be supervised by a NPS wildlife biologist.
Admittedly, it's in North Dakota but hey, that's not really an impediment. Sounds better then cable splicing in San Fran.:D

Well, the job duties list:
..,and care of meat.
which, in my book, means "Can you cook a steak properly? How 'bout burgers. Ribs?"

I guess we'd have to find the government meaning,.. or you could just call and ask.

Wonder if you get to keep the hides? I'm gonna take a wild guess and say the meat goes to shelters or hunters for the hungry/something similar.

On the one hand, I'd love to get paid to elk hunt. On the other hand, the mental midgets governing national parks need to open them up for public hunting. Paying hunters would reduce the burden on taxpayers to maintain the parks.

Another taxpayer funded government program that needs to be eliminated. This could be used to generate revenue via the sale of hunting permits to the public, instead of adding another government job. Ill venture that the management and supervision of this program has a related annual budget of more than $500,000.

Back