• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

highest mileage out of 1997 4.0?

Red97XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I know this has been discussed before across all years, but I am wondering how long ON AVERAGE the 97 4.0 motors are lasting? I don't know what years are the "same" as the 97's, so if someone can add that, then those folks can post what they have as well. I am currently at about 145k and running good. I know some of the older xj's were getting over 300k.

Thanks for everyone's input!
Jason

The engine is pretty much all the same throughout the years. The '00 and some early '01's had a bad casting, and the block cracks sometimes. The older ones used a renix system, but many of the parts are the same. Its the computers and OBD systems that are the biggest change between the years.

They all last long.

my 97 has 250,000 and the 94 i just wrecked had 215,000 before i had to switch motors but both had that number when i got them and the 97 still seems to be running strong.

The engine is pretty much all the same throughout the years. The '00 and some early '01's had a bad casting, and the block cracks sometimes. The older ones used a renix system, but many of the parts are the same. Its the computers and OBD systems that are the biggest change between the years.

They all last long.

I thought some of the earlier years had a different block material or something??? Not arguing, just asking if that is true or not.

Keep the data coming.

I thought some of the earlier years had a different block material or something??? Not arguing, just asking if that is true or not.

Keep the data coming.
I agree, I heard that the earlier blocks (early 90s) were manufactured with a slightly different mix of metals which made them a bit stronger. I heard all the jeepspeed guys try to build their strokers from the earelir blocks as they hold up better. :dunno: I forget where I read that, so you can't take my word for it... I just think I saw that at some point

My '97 just turned 205,000 miles and is still going strong. It doesn't tick, knock, or use oil between changes which for me is 2,500 miles between changes.

this is all very good news. Does anyone have one that has the oil blue smoke? Mine does not at 145k, just curious when that kicks in.

I change my oil at every 3,000 or less.

Lots and lots of 200k 4.0 motors out there. And an amazing amount make it to and past 300k.

Keeping up with fluid changes contributes to longevity as does other common sense basic maintenance.

140k on my 99 daily driver. It runs "as new". :wave:

The harder blocks someone was asking about was the Renix blocks due to there being more nickel mixed in the casting. 5-90 is the gentleman I remember posting that about 2 years ago.

My late model 96 is only at 129,000. That's the closest to a 97 as I have. She was well abused and the oil still is discolored when I change it with full synthetic Mobil 5w-30. Although the compression on all 6 is 100%.

Back