• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Higher Wattage Bulbs

Hellas with e-code housings have less glare than DOT's. The pattern is low, has a distinct cutoff, and with 80/100 Xenons, throws more light further than HID.

NAPA sells a plain halogen 80/100 on the bulb display of Wagners. About $17 each, but when you need one, they are immediately available. Other parts houses have to order them if you can find a counterman who even knows what they are.

I got my replacement e-codes and bulbs from Susquehanna. They also sell ceramic high heat connectors with uncrimped terminals, which is my day off project. The Calterm "hi-temp" connectors aren't for hi watt bulbs. They are already smoked.

Most HID kits are 4 times higher than a simple hi watt Hella conversion, involve installing a high voltage source that is marked dangerous, don't give more than DOT allowed output, and apparently have a very wide beam spread that is great off road and wasted on the highway. Replacement bulbs typically run $125 each, the average cost of a Hella e code conversion set.

But the HID fanboys don't tell you all that. They just want to play one-upmanship, which is a shame, as they are paying much more and getting less.

Most HID kits are 4 times higher than a simple hi watt Hella conversion, involve installing a high voltage source that is marked dangerous, don't give more than DOT allowed output, and apparently have a very wide beam spread that is great off road and wasted on the highway. Replacement bulbs typically run $125 each, the average cost of a Hella e code conversion set.

But the HID fanboys don't tell you all that. They just want to play one-upmanship, which is a shame, as they are paying much more and getting less.

LOL. That was a pretty ballsy statement, but I'll let it slide since this has been covered in depth time and time again....

I got my 140/100's from ebay, it was the only place I could find them. They worked amazing for the 3 months I had them before one burned out. After that I did was Tirod suggested and went with 80/100's from NAPA. Availability FTW. They're a slight bit dimmer, but realistically I think we're only talking a few lumens.

3 months that sux I thought my Osrams at 6 to 7 months were bad. Also the prob I found with the 100w standard bulbs they get to damn hot. the Osrams dont get that hot. :idea:

Ok, So I have my new headlight harness on the way and I already have some Autopal e codes in the jeep, and I am wanting to buy some higher wattage bulbs once I get the harness in. What do you guys recommend? I really don't ant to spend $50 for bulbs, but I want something with a bright white look in a 80/90w or 80/100w. I've seen a couple pairs of bulbs on amazon, but they look kinda cheap.

So what bulbs are you guys using in your e codes?
and what wattage?

Didn't Autopal come with the option of 90/100's....that's what I went with. I got a upgraded harness from XJ98jeep and went with the autopal 90/100w bulbs with no complaints!

They are going to suck. Probably be better off with stock wattage.

Well not really. I ordered some cheapo 60/55w bulbs off ebay for 10 bucks shipped and I am using them right now untill my 90/100w's come in and they are really nice. they have a very nice pattern and are bright. So even if these bulbs I am getting are the same quality...I will be very happy.

Well not really. I ordered some cheapo 60/55w bulbs off ebay for 10 bucks shipped and I am using them right now untill my 90/100w's come in and they are really nice. they have a very nice pattern and are bright. So even if these bulbs I am getting are the same quality...I will be very happy.

FYI - "pattern" is a function of reflector bowl and lense cut/mould, not bulb strength. Putting in a brighter bulb will net you the same "pattern" - it will just have longer reach.

No, a 8500k 100/90w bulb will suck.
1) true 8500k is so blue/purple that it will significantly reduce contrast and lumen output
2) that cute blue/purple look also increases glare
3) that colored coating (filter) over the bulb that creates the cute blue/purple also reduces lumens.

So in the end you will have a very blue and dim light.

New_GP_Thunder_8500K_COATING.jpg
:laugh2: (n)

Do yourself a favor and use a quality un coated bulb.

No, a 8500k 100/90w bulb will suck.
1) true 8500k is so blue/purple that it will significantly reduce contrast and lumen output
2) that cute blue/purple look also increases glare
3) that colored coating (filter) over the bulb that creates the cute blue/purple also reduces lumens.

So in the end you will have a very blue and dim light.

New_GP_Thunder_8500K_COATING.jpg
:laugh2: (n)

Do yourself a favor and use a quality un coated bulb.

those are the "new" GP thunders. the old GP thunders that I ordered are clear and not color coated.

Back