• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

High Volume Water Pump Discussion

GSequoia

Everyone says I'm a jerk.
NAXJA Member
Well this has probably been covered before, in fact almost certinaly, but I really, really suck at searching so I'm going to start it all over.

Now... This discussion isn't about what brand should be bought (we all know it's Hesco) it's more of a theory type thread. Are high volume water pumps really worth it? Sure a lot of people say yes, but I've heard some say no.

I've heard talk about moving water TOO fast (particularly if one has a particularly fast flowing radiator), meaning that it doesn't stick around in the radiator long enough to draw the heat out; is there merit in this theory?

I am also interested to know if ported thermostat housings and supposed high flow thermostats reall do all they're cracked up to do.

What is your experiance? If you've had one and it did good for you what else did you do at the time? (if you changed the entire cooling system at hte same time I'm sorry but your results are bunk).

The application here will be a stroker, somewhere between 4.5 and 4.7 liters (don't have all the details worked out), it'll be running an open system.

Sequoia

Here’s my take on the subject and why I did it, of which a lot of the why, was based on my knowledge of hydraulics.

After looking at the opening size on a standard versus high flow thermostat, one actually wonders how enough coolant ever flowed through the thing to do any cooling.

Then you look at the t-stat housing for the 4.0L engine and see all the restrictions there, especially after you’ve seen a high flow housing.

Well I installed both, no change in temps or anything else, but I had the self confidence that coolant was flowing better.

Now comes the point where I need to replace the water pump. I’d already seen the OEM pump impeller and had wondered how the durn thing ever pumped water with it’s inefficient impeller design. While hydraulic pumps are designed differently, they are designed to eliminate cavitation and only move oil, not air. It seemed to me the OEM water pump would cavitate as much as it pumped coolant. For those not familiar, cavitation is where large amounts of air is created around moving impeller/propeller. The more the air, the less efficient the impeller/propeller becomes and more energy is required to create the movement of water or object.

After checking out a number of companies that manufactured aftermarket replacements, I came to the conclusion that these pump became high flow pumps simply through better impeller design. They really didn’t move more coolant, they merely moved it more efficiently.

So, I installed an aftermarket pump (with OEM radiator) and noticed an immediate coolant temperature drop. Not much, maybe 5-7 degrees, but enough that I was satisfied with the additional expense.

I know the first post said this thread isn't about models...But I do still like hearing what models and why..Not just opinion.

I haven't looked up high flow t-stat housings or t-stats yet. So...

Ok rstarch345...What PUMP and What t-stat housing did you use?? Brands and model numbers would help too.

thanks.

Last edited:
I can't see the hi-flow pumps keeping things "too cool" since the flow will be regulated by the thermostat, and not the actual flow capacity of the pump itself. I can't see any advantage except the horsepower gains from the reduction of cavitation. By that same token, no matter how "fast" your radiator or thermostat, or thermostat housing is, your thermostat should maintain the temperature of the engine within a few degrees of optimal.

goodburbon said:
By that same token, no matter how "fast" your radiator or thermostat, or thermostat housing is, your thermostat should maintain the temperature of the engine within a few degrees of optimal.
Ahhh! But the t-stat does not maintain temperature. It opens at a given temperature when heated by the block. When that happens, coolant flows to the radiator to be cooled. The t-stat will only close once the temp has dropped below its temp rating. For example, 180deg. It opens at 180 and never closes until the cooland falls to (lets assume) 179deg.

Just like porting a manifold, if you port the t-stat housing, you reduce restrictions in the coolant flow making the process more efficient.

A high flow T-stat just has a large opening allowing more coolant volume to pass through it. Indirectly, this can actually have a positive effect on the pump by reducing back pressure which can aid in reducing pump cavitation.

Just for the sake of argument, lets say the impeller on the pump rusts away and is no longer pumping. How does the coolant in the engine block get to the rad. Even an inefficient impeller will move coolant. If it doesn't move it sufficiently, the engine coolant temperature continues to rise forcing hotter and hotter coolant into the rad.

The more hot coolant that flows throught the radiator (up to a given point) the more heat that can be drawn off.

Now we start getting into the issue of 2 and 3 core radiators which, by design, radiate more heat, but will also handle increased coolant flow.

rstarch345 said:
After looking at the opening size on a standard versus high flow thermostat, one actually wonders how enough coolant ever flowed through the thing to do any cooling.

Then you look at the t-stat housing for the 4.0L engine and see all the restrictions there, especially after you’ve seen a high flow housing.

I'd agree with that, there is a significant bottleneck in any thermostat and the wax-type balanced thermostats (which only fit the high-flow housing) will allow more flow. The issue is "do we need more flow", and since 90% of engines on the market use the same type of thermostat, I'd say designers ar OK with that bottleneck and design the rest of the system with that in mind. It can be improved and maybe needs to be on the stroker, but the stock setup *should* work with the stock t-stat. IMO....

rstarch345 said:
Well I installed both, no change in temps or anything else, but I had the self confidence that coolant was flowing better.

OK, so you don't know but you spent money on it and like it. Nothing wrong with it, but it's not data that can be used for anything conclusive.

rstarch345 said:
Now comes the point where I need to replace the water pump. I’d already seen the OEM pump impeller and had wondered how the durn thing ever pumped water with it’s inefficient impeller design. While hydraulic pumps are designed differently, they are designed to eliminate cavitation and only move oil, not air. It seemed to me the OEM water pump would cavitate as much as it pumped coolant. For those not familiar, cavitation is where large amounts of air is created around moving impeller/propeller. The more the air, the less efficient the impeller/propeller becomes and more energy is required to create the movement of water or object.

Ahhhh.....no. They are designed to move water, which has a higher density than oil. Actually most impellers designed for oil are based on water impellers. Air pumps are very similar but because it's a compressible fluid (air is just a very low-density fluid) the pumping designed for it specifically.

Cavitation is basically when the pressure at the impeller, typically right in the center of the impeller, becomes so small that it allows the water to dissociate, IOW the water is in a vacuum and is allowed to boil at low temperatures. Most pumps (not submersibles, but all others) will provide a static head (pressure measured in feet of water) that is required to eliminate cavitation. In essence, you need some amount of pressure pushing against the impeller in the direction of flow to make sure you don't lower the pressure to the point where you cavitate. Caviation will wreck the impeller very quickly, and can show up as pitting usually near the center of the impeller. An engine is a closed system, so the pressure against the impeller is the same as the pressure leaving the impeller, minus the friction losses in the system (which would be significant in this system, pulling numbers out of my butt I'd say a good 50-75%). Caviation is NOT a problem in this case, the more the pump pulls water through, the more pressure it has against the back side of the pump. Is it possible to cavitate? I'd say yeah, but it's also possible for it to be struck by lightning while your driving.

rstarch345 said:
After checking out a number of companies that manufactured aftermarket replacements, I came to the conclusion that these pump became high flow pumps simply through better impeller design. They really didn’t move more coolant, they merely moved it more efficiently.

I'll agree that the hesco pump is more efficient. In fact they claim a 6hp increase simply by switching. I'd belive that too, the stock pump is shaped much like a sewage pump which is NOT designed to be efficient, but rather to be robust even when pumping solids (most sewage pumps can handle 3-6" solids). The hesco pump is similar to a water supply pump that will never see solids, used in municipal water systems after the treatment plant typically. These give a good 15-30% more efficiency for the same amount of flow.

IMO, it comes down to this. Theory and BS aside, will it give better cooling. Tough question. The Hesco pump will give you a performance increase similar to dumping your mechanical fan, I noticed the difference when I did that, so on a stroker I'd do it just because I built the thing for power, why pinch on another 6hp when you need a pump anyway?

Will it give better cooling? Hmm. When you rev the engine using the stock pump you get more flow (gallons per minute) as the revs get higher because the pump is driven by the belt off the crankshaft. Using a high-flow pump simply moves your pump curve up, you get the same flow at 1000rpm with the Hesco as you'd get at 1500 (I'm guessing) with the stock pump. The reality is you velocity increases quite a bit in the closed system, and because losses are exponential to velocity, your not actually getting a direct increase in flow all the way through to the back side of the pump again. But, what you get is so much more efficient, that I'd think it's worth it if your simply looking for HP.

All that said, I recently replaced mine with one that has a stock impeller. $150 is too much for 6hp right now for me, but if/when I do a stroker, I'll use the better impeller.

Wow. That was way too much, sorry for anyone that tried to read all that crap-

rstarch, I'm not picking on you, your just making a lot of disussion here - :D

rstarch345 said:
Ahhh! But the t-stat does not maintain temperature. It opens at a given temperature when heated by the block. When that happens, coolant flows to the radiator to be cooled. The t-stat will only close once the temp has dropped below its temp rating. For example, 180deg. It opens at 180 and never closes until the cooland falls to (lets assume) 179deg.

The t-stat maintains temps in an environment where there is an excess of heat shedding. If it's 10F in Michigan, the t-stat keeps the coolant in the block warm. It cannot help shed heat where there is not an excess of heat shedding capacity.

rstarch345 said:
Just like porting a manifold, if you port the t-stat housing, you reduce restrictions in the coolant flow making the process more efficient.

Agreed, but I really don't think (in my professional opinion having worked in the water industry for over 2 years) that the losses are worth sweating over

rstarch345 said:
A high flow T-stat just has a large opening allowing more coolant volume to pass through it. Indirectly, this can actually have a positive effect on the pump by reducing back pressure which can aid in reducing pump cavitation.

I really don't think cavitation is an issue. See above-

rstarch345 said:
Just for the sake of argument, lets say the impeller on the pump rusts away and is no longer pumping. How does the coolant in the engine block get to the rad. Even an inefficient impeller will move coolant. If it doesn't move it sufficiently, the engine coolant temperature continues to rise forcing hotter and hotter coolant into the rad.

The more hot coolant that flows throught the radiator (up to a given point) the more heat that can be drawn off.

Sorta- Water needs a hydraulic residence time inside of the radiator in order to cool. Simply shoving more water in won't fix it, what you want/need is a larger radiator (in volume) that will allow TIME for the water to be cooled enough. In addition, you want the water to stay in the block long enough to get hot, not just to pull heat from the metal of the block, but also to keep the block warm enough for optimum combustion. Not too hot, not too cold, but juuuuust right. I don't think (pulling out the unsubstatiated opinion here) that the gains of the Hesco pump would cause a problem with overcoolilng. You would have to really dump cold water on in a hurry to overcool, and the radiator on the XJ isn't big enough to worry about cold water.

rstarch345 said:
Now we start getting into the issue of 2 and 3 core radiators which, by design, radiate more heat, but will also handle increased coolant flow.

They don't "radiate heat" any better, mostly they simply hold more water and create a larger capacity of cool/cooling water. To increase heat shedding you would need more surface area for the air to pass over, but that can't happen without major mods to the front end of the XJ radiator.

so, aside from all the thermodynamic no-no's that might have popped up, is there an optimum flow rate for the oem rad, and if so, what would that be in comparison to what is offered by pumps?

kubtastic said:
so, aside from all the thermodynamic no-no's that might have popped up, is there an optimum flow rate for the oem rad, and if so, what would that be in comparison to what is offered by pumps?

Flow rate is variable with engine speed. If your doing a lot of rock crawling and having trouble, but do fine once you get some engine speed you might do better with the Hesco pump. I don't know any way to estimate what the pumping flow rate should be but I'd say the stock pump would be pretty damn close to what you need. It's not like the original engineers just stuck something on and went for a smoke. I really doubt the Hesco produces enough extra to be worried about either. In the closed system more pumping will end up as increased velocity and higher pressures. Same as you'd get with the stock pump at higher RPM.

rstarch345 said:
I’d already seen the OEM pump impeller and had wondered how the durn thing ever pumped water with it’s inefficient impeller design.
Whats different about it,that same impeller has been used in almost every vehicle ever made!

One thing that should be brought up - since pumps for water circulation and (hydraulic) oil pumps were compared...

A water pump is simply designed to create a circulating force, which may be blocked without incident. The impeller does NOT fit "snugly" within its chamber, which is why there's no damage from the thermostat being closed. There will still be some small circulation within the engine block, but not enough to matter.

A "hydraulic" pump (power source,) is a positive-displacement pump that moves a certain amount of fluid for EACH revolution, and is used to generate pressure in order to do work. That's why hydraulic pumps have "blow-off" valves (pressure regulators,) because if you block the flow from the pump, pressure will continue to climp. Since liquids don't compress, you'll end up breaking something - unless you have a means for pressure to escape.

The purpose of the two pumps is entirely different - which should be borne in mind... Let's compare apples to apples, shall we?

5-90

Last edited:
Lets discuss laminar and turbulent flow and what critical velocity it switches in the cherokee's cooling system while we're at it.
icon10.gif

5-90 said:
One thing that should be brought up - since pumps for water circulation and (hydraulic) oil pumps were compared...

A water pump is simply designed to create a circulating force, which may be blocked without incident. The impeller does NOT fit "snugly" within its chamber, which is why there's no damage from the thermostat being closed. There will still be some small circulation within the engine block, but not enough to matter.

A "hydraulic" pump (power source,) is a positive-displacement pump that moves a certain amount of fluid for EACH revolution, and is used to generate pressure in order to do work. That's why hydraulic pumps have "blow-off" valves (pressure regulators,) because if you block the flow from the pump, pressure will continue to climp. Since liquids don't compress, you'll end up breaking something - unless you have a means for pressure to escape.

The purpose of the two pumps is entirely different - which should be borne in mind... Let's compare apples to apples, shall we?

5-90

High efficiency pumps have what is called a "closed" impeller, while solids handling pumps are "open". I highly doubt (I haven't seen it in person) that the Hesco impeller is all that tightly closed to build any undue pressure against a closed t-stat. But yes, a P-D pump would be a very bad idea in an engine.

MogifiedXJ, good luck actually finding a real-life example of laminar flow :D

Most HV water pumps use a baffle plate on the impeller - you could make one yourself and rivet/screw/weld it on, if you so chose. That just improves the action of the impeller - much like ducting or shrouding a fan.

"Open" impellers are open on pretty much all sides, which allows for inefficient waste of energy (like throwing air off the ends of fan blades.) "Closing" an impeller cuts off those "side escapes," and makes all the fluid thrown off the thing thrown off the ends of the blades, rather than the sides. I used to do this myself to various water pumps, before I could find good sources for pumps with that already done to them...)

5-90

things got a little technical there, but i am going to ignore that...
some people just would like to replace things with better parts when they break. somewhere in the 4.0 production, the water pump was changed by chrysler, for more flow. the engineers thought more flow would be better, so should we probably. somewhere i read the change was made in 1999 to a 50% more efficient pump, which added like 2bhp. i don't know where that original info comes from.

hesco claims 20% increases in efficiency and 6bhp, which sort of conflicts with the numbers above. i've never seen the 99+ pump, but hescos sure looks inherently better. overall, if the info about the 99 update is true, than it would be a lot more cost effective to get a rebuilt pump from the parts place or a junkyard pump from a 99+. unless you just have to have the best(not to mention most expensive) replacement you can find.

Back