• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

High mileage rig for sale

Reedster

NAXJA Forum User
There's a '99 XJ for sale. It has 260,000 miles on it, but it looks great and the owner says he took great care of it. http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/1658551712.html

The ad says: 1999 Jeep Cherokee Classic, 4x4, auto, am/fm/cd/cassette, pw/l, alloys(5-original spare has never been out of car), always Synthetic fluids (engine oil, transfer, differentials),very clean,runs perfect but high freeway mileage-no offroad use. buying new jeep $3700.00

The picture looks great and the vehicle looks like it's in great condition.

He says: "I bought it from an older single woman 7-8 years ago here in calif after reading an article by a pro jeep builder saying that the I6 and toyota sourced transmission was good for 350000 miles. It has 260000 because I drive back and forth to my summer house several times a year during spring, summer & fall......It spends the winter here. Doesn't use or drip any oil and cruises all day long @ 75mph on interstate. I have heard of cherokee's w/over 500000 miles on them. It's in nice conditon because I taken care of it."

I asked him about the price and I thought KBB was less, but he says it was within $50 buck after he added in the extras.

What do you think? Condition looks great and it's obviously a lot of highway miles. But it's a lot of miles and a lot of money. He did say he would probably take best offer, but I'm not sure what makes sense.

Thanks for your help.

~R

hmm i spent 300$ more than that and i bought a 98 limited with every option available, no rust, and 84K on the clock. i would reconsider your decision. you can buy a built rig for a little more than that.

I paid $500 less for a 98 Limited fully optioned (mmmmmmm leather) with 140k and I was even hesitant on that. I'd keep looking.

Got my XJ, rust free, 97 w/118000. Garage kept. it was wrecked though 10 years ago... couldn't really tell. 3000 out the door. Love the jeep!! Could't be happier.

260k is a lot of miles... hard to believe someone selling a car, but, my opinion, someone running synthetics in everything, obviously isn't cheating out on typical maintenance.

I feel like, no matter what you find, someone has found or got a better deal. You just got to go with what you would be happy with. There are a lot of XJs out there.

I paid 1400 for my 98 Sport. 218k miles and it has small frame damage in the passenger front. No affect on the drivability and I still was able to mount the bumper plates on. There are deals out there. Just gotta wait for them.

i got my 98 with a 4.5" lift and 31" claws and 104K for $3500....you would have to be crazy to pay that

I got my 97 with 188K and almost no rust for $750. just a week before I almost bought another for $700 that had rust so bad you could put your whole arm in the rocker panel.... keep looking and you'll find something good.

Fark the seller.

KBB for a 99 Classic in your area in EXCELLENT condition is only $2760; very few vehicles are "excellent" so GOOD condition is more like what it is and that is only $2360.

Offer him $2360 for it as that is what KBB says it is worth. Better yet, have him print out the KBB report he is basing his wet-dream value on.

Back