• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

high mileage auto transmission flush

We do complete flushes at work using a BG Big Dawg High Capacity Power Flush and Fluid Exchange System and have done probably 60 or 70 fleet trannys since we got it. All the trucks we do are off road vehicles.

I did my 01 Cherokee at 125K with it and several other mechanics with high mileage vehicles have used it on theirs. Mine now hits the shift points quicker and crisper than it has in years.

I've never seen a transmission damaged that was attributed to a full flush done properly on proper equipment.

YMMV

I had my 89 XJ tranny flushed at 215k miles. My shift points improved, my fuel mileage improved, and general driveablilty improved. I had the power flush done first, with a new filter and gasket. I've never once had any issues since (and that was almost 10k miles ago).

I had this flush in my old S10 pickup. It destroyed the tranny, as it was explained to me, the ATF has very high detergent content, and this basically broke down the crud that was built up inside the tranny, and this foreign material suspended in the ATF, then found it's way into valve bodies and clogged them causing the rest of the tranny to be starved of fluid and then was destroyed. Lesson, as stated above, do a SLOW flush to be safe, over a period of weeks of actually driving the rig

240k no troubles. put about 10k (ish) on it in the (about) year i had it.
no flushes no changes .....yet. shifts fine, so far. but how much more mph should i get if i do change it out? (not too sure about the high pressure stuff) & i cant afford the 12+ quarts to do a slow flush on it.

as a mechanic in the garage workin on others cars, yea i've seen some very strange things happen.

Back