• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HID HELLA Lights 5" & 7" New in boxes

If you guys need more, I have a few sets of these left as well!

the 7 and 5 refer to the diameter of the lights, the FF is the type of light. I have a set of the 700ffs and they throw light wide but put a focused beam on the wall. I believe they're "euro fogs", sort of a combo of distance and width.

not 100% no that but that's how I understand it from reading up on them awhile back.

700ff is a fog light (short wide pattern) where a 500ff is a driving light (longer more narrow beam) Right??

Grimm is correct, 500 and 700 can both have driving or fog patterns. Most are usually driving. The difference is size, 700s are 7" and 500 are 5"

I do have 2 sets of 700's still...

No this is installed ready to go.

Still have a few 700s and some 500s

Sorry for the newb question here, but I had pretty much ruled out HID due to cost... With the leads being as short as they are, where do you put the ballasts when you mount these on a roof rack?

Sorry for the newb question here, but I had pretty much ruled out HID due to cost... With the leads being as short as they are, where do you put the ballasts when you mount these on a roof rack?

The ballasts are weatherproof, and can even be submerged in water. All of the connections are sealed as well, similar to GM weather-pak connectors. If I were you though I would make a bracket and mount them on the underside of the rack, out of the direct sunlight. They do have a maximum operating temperature and I'm not sure what being baked in the sun every day would do to them. There are extension leads available for purchase as well if you contact tony directly, for an additional cost.

The ballasts are weatherproof, and can even be submerged in water. All of the connections are sealed as well, similar to GM weather-pak connectors. If I were you though I would make a bracket and mount them on the underside of the rack, out of the direct sunlight. They do have a maximum operating temperature and I'm not sure what being baked in the sun every day would do to them. There are extension leads available for purchase as well if you contact tony directly, for an additional cost.

Thanks for the info. Did a little more reading and it sounds like most just run the ballasts up on the rack. I was hoping to conceal them in the OHC / headliner cutout area and run the power leads through a multi pin quick-connect in the center of the roof. Don't know if the extensions would be long enough or if a quick connect would even be appropriate for that type of voltage. I'll check with Tony, but it sounds like some sort of a mounting bracket on the rack would probably be the way to go.

I believe the extended leads are available in 3 foot lengths, maybe longer I am not sure of that but I know they come as short as 1 foot as well. I wouldn't use any other connector or wiring than what the lights are intended for, which is silicone jacketed silver core wire. I cut and spliced mine with regular wire and it arced through the insulation and burned a hole in the back of the cheapo housing I had mine in :gee: I learned the hard way and ruined a ballast because of it. You can buy the wire to make them up yourself but the cheapest place I could find the correct wire online was 7$ a foot and only sold in 100ft rolls. it needs to be able to handle 50,000 volts or the arc will jump through the insulation when the arc first tries to fire the bulb.

It will definitely be easier to make a bracket under the rack, or you can even put them inside a box on the rack if you don't want to see them or want to protect them from getting beat up from cargo, the ballasts don't generate much if any heat. The extended leads would make that a simple plug and play job.

Check out Off-Road magazine January 2011 issue, that is one of tony's kits converting a hella 4000. basically the same steps here minus cutting the connector to pass the wires through as the 500s and 700s run the wiring out of the back through a grommet instead.

found the article on their website http://www.off-roadweb.com/tech/1101or_xentec_hid_kit_baja_hid_conversion/index.html

Thanks Grimm, I actually stumbled upon that write up through my searches. Looks like a near factory finish.

Back