• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hi Yall Need Help!

OK took the suggestion from 5-90 and no more oil leaking into the airbox for now.

Now for the nex issue.

Noticed at take off it seems to shift real fast. from 1st to 2nd to 3rd real fast and bogs the jeep down. Seems like it shifts at too low RPM. I do not have a Tach, so I cannot tell when it is shifting. Does not go through gears and has no power. If I manually shift I can get to higher rpm's and I have more power. Can someone help me with this???

Have you checked the TPS voltage?? It's sounding like a problem there....also clean/inspect the connections there. Your 89 should have 2 plugs coming out of the TPS, use the 4 wire (square) one, IIRC.

As a side note....take it to a dealer and have them run an options/recall sheet on you VIN. I got a free TPS out of an old recall.......(poorly installed, but you can fix that after the $75 part goes in for free)

Yea I saw that on the autozone website. It shows all the recals for the vehicle.

I will check the TPS this afternoon.. I just have a question as to what that has to do with the Shifting...

The TPS reads Throttle Position and shifts the transmission to make the shifts on time.

If you have no kickdown your TV cable may be out of adjustment. This usually doesn't mess with the shift points much other than kick down, bur can cause harsh shifts or even slippage in the other extreme.
Adjusting the TV (kickdown cable) is a fairly simple process that seems to be almost impossible to explain. It has been covered in search, but seems like a likely candidate for a picture show and a sticky. Maybe somebody more articulate than I can explain it.

4m7g651.gif

8Mud said:
If you have no kickdown your TV cable may be out of adjustment. This usually doesn't mess with the shift points much other than kick down, bur can cause harsh shifts or even slippage in the other extreme.
Adjusting the TV (kickdown cable) is a fairly simple process that seems to be almost impossible to explain. It has been covered in search, but seems like a likely candidate for a picture show and a sticky. Maybe somebody more articulate than I can explain it.

4m7g651.gif

I had early up shifts and little-to-no downshifts-- adjusted TV cable (assuming it wouldn't help) and it solved about 90% of my problems.
It was the simplest fix I've done and didn't cost doodley-squat:roll:
--Shorty

Will try that. I am also going to adjust the TPS using voltage instead of resistance. I was using resistance last night and it no worky...

OK Checked the voltages. Reading from pin D with neg to pin A with Pos. The voltage was somewhere around 4.632. Moved to terminal A and saw a voltage of 4.5** which is not 82% it is much more. 82 % would be somewhere in the range of 3.7... I also tried to adjust the TPS and it did not effect the voltages very much. only about +/- .2 volts. Should it adjust more.

Also measured across the other conector with and found I have .99 volts not the .80 to .82 like I am supposed to. Could not get it to adjust any further down.

Messed with the TV throttle Down and did not make a difference downshifting.

I am still shifting real fast.

Back